Help ID Fender 2x12 Amp Combo Cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ID Fender 2x12 Amp Combo Cabinet

I have a old Fender 2x12 combo cab with no amp. Anyone know what amp it is? I have attached some pics.

I thought it was a Twin until I looked at the tube chart.

Thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220623_104642311.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	962851 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220623_104613692.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	962850 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220623_104636023.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	962849 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220623_104747684.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	708.9 KB
ID:	962848

Pro Reverb?
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      Pro Reverb?
      In looking up the Pro Reverb it shows that amp having a rectifier tube.

Comment

This mystery amp had 8 tubes including (2) 6L6 output tubes, a solid state rectifier, 2x12" speakers in horizontal alignment. Also has tilt back legs. 24.5" chassis opening.
        Last edited by misterc57; 06-23-2022, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by misterc57 View Post

In looking up the Pro Reverb it shows that amp having a rectifier tube.
          Some did, some didn't. One example attached, but I would think there are others maybe earlier.
          Attached Files
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

In any case, nice find.
            Get a compatible chassis or a somewhat narrower one, ad some wooden blocks at ends as needed, and then build something you like.

Even an SS amp if that fits you.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Things we know (sort of):

That is a two channel with trem and reverb circuit tube compliment for amps of the "Musical Instruments" era.

Fender never had a production model 2x12 two channel trem and reverb combo amp with just a pair of power tubes in the "Musical Instruments" era that didn't use a rectifier tube.

That label had to be made and that implies an order for labels and therefor a planned model on Fenders part.

So this is a great corker indeed. Unless there's a model I'm not considering this would seem to be a cabinet for model that never went into production even though it got as far as the "buy some tube chart labels" stage. And there are some examples of that sort of thing floating around along with a few "Musical Instruments" era factory customs. Notice that the label lacks the underline space near the bold print "Model" in the upper left that was used for hand written model designation. I think that's the telling part. This has to have been a factory custom amp. But why would they print tube chart labels without any space to write the model? I've never seen a label like that one.

EDIT: I guess another possibility is that it's a fake. Some are remarkably well done and look completely right but still have errors or omissions in some details.
              Last edited by Chuck H; 06-26-2022, 02:40 PM.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Here's a Pro with that tube chart. https://reverb.com/item/32857700-198...ber-6a40-ab763
                Last edited by glebert; 06-26-2022, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Nice! Thank you. I'm realizing now that I had the "Musical Instruments" and "Electric Instruments" eras flip flopped in my head (temporarily and inexplicably). I had thought this was 64 or earlier.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
                    The pictures there show the 'output tubes matching' pot on the back, so the schematic in post #5 should be valid.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thank you all. Fun to figure this out. Going with c.1981 Fender Pro Reverb 2x12 50 Watt Combo

Comment

Working...
                      X