Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunn Beta Lead - diagnosis?

Hello, new to the forum;

I have two Sunn Beta Lead combos for playing in stereo. One of them has this problem - the volume cuts out with a “pop” noise when I am not playing notes on guitar - after picking notes or strumming, the volume/sound returns, but then cuts out again.
    I am guessing that it’s a bad capacitor somewhere - has anyone experienced or repaired a similar problem?

I was removing the dials on my Sunn Beta Lead combo before opening the chassis - the dial controlling the “Driver” adjustment on Channel B broke the controller (a variable resistor, I believe), pulling the stem out of the component.

Looking at the schematic, this component is listed either as R144 or R158; I don’t have the list of the components as designated by these numbers. Can anyone help? What is this component?

Comment

They are both 1Meg Linear or type A pots.
      Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
      If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Common problem with these.

When you pull the PC board out, re-solder potentiometer connections and any other joints that look weak or may be intermittent.

Comment

technically aren't Sunn amps only suitable to play versions of "Louie Louie"?
          asking for a friend...

Comment

Leslie West with "Mountain" playing a Sunn Coliseum P.A. amp.
            IMO one of the best rock sounds ever.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
              asking for a friend...
              In fact, this is why when Fender bought Sunn, they put 'LO' at the beginning of all the serial numbers.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                asking for a friend...
                Well, that’s the only song I know on guitar. I want to make sure the neighbors can hear me learning to play. Thus, the Sunn Beta Lead…

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
                  They are both 1Meg Linear or type A pots.
                  Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
                    Common problem with these.

When you pull the PC board out, re-solder potentiometer connections and any other joints that look weak or may be intermittent.
                    Understood. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X