Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Clean Old Gibson Blonde Tweed Tolex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Clean Old Gibson Blonde Tweed Tolex?

Any suggestions on how to clean this up? I am trying get those brown stains out.

I tried Dawn and Oxy Clean, neither worked.

I was thinking of trying a bleach and water solution next?

Thank you, MarkO

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220702_162220830_HDR.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	963552 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220702_143209899_HDR.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	963553 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220702_162238718_HDR.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	963554

It all depends on what caused the discoloration. Try alcohol next. Even paint thinner. Anywhere that bleach reaches the actual tweed will cause damage to the tweed and bleach it's natural color. So if it doesn't affect the stain it would actually make the contrast worse while damaging the integrity of the tweed. I don't hold out much hope for this one to be honest.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Looks to me like it got very wet for a long time. The back screw holes have iron rust marks.
      If the cabinet is not too damaged or rotted out, I would remove evrything and re-cover it with new material.
      Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
      If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

If you must, re-cover. Or accept what you have as "the essential funk." I think it looks kool, like a patchy looking horse.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Fortunately the cabinet is solid. So "essential funk" it is!

Need to find a back panel to complete this one.

Thank you

Comment

Why don't retolex it ?
            "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

You could try oxalic acid. Experiment on an inconspicuous area using a cotton bud (Q-Tip) just on the discoloured areas to see if they lighten. Oxalic acid is especially good for iron staining. There's also a product I have called Didi Seven, though I now covet my remaining supply as I haven't seen it for sale in the UK for a long time and it's so effective that the ingredients must have been regulated out of the stuff by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                You could try oxalic acid. Experiment on an inconspicuous area using a cotton bud (Q-Tip) just on the discoloured areas to see if they lighten. Oxalic acid is especially good for iron staining. There's also a product I have called Didi Seven, though I now covet my remaining supply as I haven't seen it for sale in the UK for a long time and it's so effective that the ingredients must have been regulated out of the stuff by now.
                That is a great idea! Oxalic acid is also somewhat effective on tannin stains. That amp could be showing signs of both rust and tannins. The only hitch is that can't do anything for the tweed if it doesn't get through any lacquer it's saturated with. But there's no harm in trying.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                X