Fender Pro Reverb - Reverb Squeal Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Pro Reverb - Reverb Squeal Issue

I am getting a piercing high pitch squeal when turning the reverb pot above 1. Both with and without the reverb tank connected.

My first thought was the pot but I wonder if there may be something else to look into.

Thank you!

Fender-Pro-Reverb-AA1069-Schematic.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by misterc57; 07-16-2022, 02:16 PM.

I suspect a microphonic tube first. After that I would suspect a ground fault in the recovery circuit.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Or a bad filter cap at node D.

What happens if you short the grid of the recovery tube to ground?
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Ok. Changing my reply to microphonic tube, filter cap at D node and then ground fault. I forgot that these Fenders share like phase stages on the same node. Thank you Helmholtz.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Another possibility is the V4 cathode bypass cap being bad.
          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
            Another possibility is the V4 cathode bypass cap being bad.
            That was it. Horrible squeal is gone.

That cap was bad. I am going to check all the other cathode caps and replace them.

More work is needed because with reverb ON, the note sound quality is not right, kind of fizzy sounding. Reverb OFF notes sound correct.

Thank you, MarkO

Comment

V4 is about the only cathode bypass cap that could cause a big issue when it fails. Due to it being shared by 2 gain stages wired in cascade, a positive feedback loop somehow then forms. It’s shoddy design really, but it works fine for decades, and saves a few pennies and a bit of board space.
              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Swapped V3 and the fizzy sound is resolved.

Thank you everyone!

MarkO

Comment

Working...
                X