Repairing Line out jack on Ampeg R12R Reverb Rocket Reissue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing Line out jack on Ampeg R12R Reverb Rocket Reissue

I have an Ampeg R12R reissue from the 90's and it's having issues with the line out jack. I never use the line in or out jacks but had heard that they can be problematic due to moisture. Started hearing a very loud squealing sound a couple of nights ago. When I placed a jack (patch cord) in the input jack after using some contact cleaner the squealing went away, at least for a day or two - then it returned. If I push a cable into the jack with force, pressing down, I can induce the squealing....What would be a permanent fix to this issue? I'm not a tech but can follow directions for simple stuff. Can I leave a patch cable connecting the in and out line jacks to prevent the issue, at least temporarily; will doing this affect the tone? Should I go to an amp tech or is there something I can do?

Replace the sockets is the correct answer however, if you use a patch lead until you can take it in for repair, there will be no difference in the tone.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
      Replace the sockets is the correct answer however, if you use a patch lead until you can take it in for repair, there will be no difference in the tone.
      Thanks for the response. Is replacing the sockets the same as replacing the jacks or is that a different part, process?

Comment

Also, check solder on the jacks first. It could just be a cracked solder joint.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

In my limited years of working on valve amplifiers from 1959 to current day, I have never seen a Reverberocket with line in/out jacks. Is this an addition I wonder.
          Even the 1996 drawings of the re issue version does not have an effects loop and back in 1961 we didn't have effects loops at all. Just the cry baby and fuzz box. (Life was simple then!)
          Yes replacing the sockets is the same procedure as replacing the jacks.
          Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk

Comment

I see Line out and Line in jacks on the schematic, an FX loop if I ever saw one.
            Attached Files
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              I see Line out and Line in jacks on the schematic, an FX loop if I ever saw one.
              Thanks Enzo, I missed that one, (it has new fangled silicon stuff in it!)

The last Rocket I had in for repair was a 1961 5Y3 model with 2 x 6SL7, 2 x 7591a and a 5Y3. Nice Jensen 12" speaker.
              Lovely overtones and not very common here.
              The UK doesn't see many newer types of Rockets.

Yep if that is ctone's model, it does have a switched jack. Careful cleaning of the switched contacts will fix that issue as it will with most hardly ever used switch jacks.
              A mushroom headed TRS jack plug with the T & R connected together as a link with the S left open will get you out of trouble for now.

Comment

That 100Vrms at the screen node can't be true. Probably should read 100mVrms.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	input jacks effects loop reduced.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	964997 Click image for larger version

Name:	Effects loop reduced.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	964998

Thanks Enzo, I missed that one, (it has new fangled silicon stuff in it!)

The last Rocket I had in for repair was a 1961 5Y3 model with 2 x 6SL7, 2 x 7591a and a 5Y3. Nice Jensen 12" speaker.
                  Lovely overtones and not very common here.
                  The UK doesn't see many newer types of Rockets.

Yep if that is ctone's model, it does have a switched jack. Careful cleaning of the switched contacts will fix that issue as it will with most hardly ever used switch jacks.
                  A mushroom headed TRS jack plug with the T & R connected together as a link with the S left open will get you out of trouble for now.
                  Uploaded some pics of the effects loop. One pic from the top at the input jacks the other from below, the shiny silver things being what the jacks feed into. How does one clean these type of jacks?

Comment

It would help a great deal to know what the model number is. Type and valve lineup would also help because that clearly isn't Enzo's schematic nor my schematics as I haven't got a schematic with line in/out in them

That jack socket is a Cliff type.
                    I have made a photo of a gold plated socket but the idea is the same.
                    Insert a cleaning strip, (I use https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/elect...eaners/1015564 ), where the arrow is pointing. The contact gets tarnished over time and causes lack of volume/distortion etc. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 21.46.22.png
Views:	165
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	965002

Comment

It would help a great deal to know what the model number is. Type and valve lineup would also help because that clearly isn't Enzo's schematic nor my schematics as I haven't got a schematic with line in/out in them

That jack socket is a Cliff type.
                      I have made a photo of a gold plated socket but the idea is the same.
                      Insert a cleaning strip, (I use https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/elect...eaners/1015564 ), where the arrow is pointing. The contact gets tarnished over time and causes lack of volume/distortion etc. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 21.46.22.png
Views:	165
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	965002
                      It is the Ampeg R12R......Reverb Rocket Reissue, made in the early 2000's.... Has two 6L6 and 3 12AX7 tubes..is a combo with one 12" speaker. Thanks.

Comment

I use a burnisher, but if you cut a 1/8 inch strip off the end of a business card, use it as a cleaner. Poke a plug into the jack to open the contacts pointed out in Jon's photo. Slide the card strip between the contacts. Now remove the plug so the contacts pinch down on the strip. A gentle back and forth with the strip will polish the contacts.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I was able to use a very thin file to clean the contacts and used contact cleaner. The screeching stopped but now unless I have a patch cable going from the line in to the line out of the effects loop the volume controls on the amp lose about 80% of their volume.......with cable plugged in, everything is fine. The amp tech I use is out of town for a couple of weeks......any suggestions in the meantime....I guess I could just leave the cable in till he gets back.

Comment

Originally posted by ctone View Post
                            I was able to use a very thin file to clean the contacts and used contact cleaner. The screeching stopped but now unless I have a patch cable going from the line in to the line out of the effects loop the volume controls on the amp lose about 80% of their volume.......with cable plugged in, everything is fine. The amp tech I use is out of town for a couple of weeks......any suggestions in the meantime....I guess I could just leave the cable in till he gets back.
                            That is because you have filed the contact surface off.
                            That is why we use a card strip, soaked in switch cleaner.
                            Replace the socket and the job is done or go back to plan B and fit a link plug.

Comment

Agree, either you killed the jack or it was just defective already, in either case, just replace the jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X