Cutting Cooling Fan hole in side of Amp Cabinet follies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, drewl!

This morning, I found the notice from Home Depot that my new Makita 6302H Drill showed up down the street, so I stopped off to pick that up on the way in. I thought I was going to have to wait until next Monday for it to arrive. Once I got to the shop, got my coffee pot brewing, I opened up the Makita box, and saw what basically looked like their version of my Bosch drill that just lost it's variable speed. The 1/2" chuck looks like a good copy of the Jacob's chuck I've had on my Bosch. Wonder if they paid Jacobs anything for such a close clone to it? I mounted the arm attachment, then the circle cutter, plugged it in to see what the trigger & variable speed felt like. Like an old friend. Hadn't seen it in the flesh....just decent photos of it on-line, but I always like it when quality sells itself.

I engaged the hole with this new drill, and the cut and control was what I had hoped for. Took me another 20 minutes to get the rest of the way thru....taking my time, and took a break, as holding that beast in place with the amount of torque and resistance it presented does strain the muscles. I got about 2/3's of the way thru into the backing board when I halted, and pried out the center plug the rest of the way. That's when I found it WAS 13 ply birch solid core plywood and NOT pine. Just the color of pine, somewhat, but was cutting like a hard wood.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bosch 0 601 153 169 VSR Drill-13.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	965643 Click image for larger version  Name:	Bosch 0 601 153 169 VSR Drill-15.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.74 MB ID:	965645 Click image for larger version  Name:	Bosch 0 601 153 169 VSR Drill-16.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	965647

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bosch 0 601 153 169 VSR Drill-17.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.63 MB ID:	965649

I removed the backing board, fetched my medium size X-Acto knife and finished the cut thru the inside edge. Then fetched my drum sander bit and chucked that into the drill and sanded the insides of the hole and deburred the inside edge while I was at it. Next, I need to apply some black paint to the insides of the fan hole and the AC Mains plug hole and let that set up to dry.

While that's drying, I will place the revised ground plane sheet into place, and staple it into place thruout the inside of the cabinet, and tightly around the two openings I made yesterday for the ventilation exhaust, having decided opening them half-way on the last two just below the heat sink assy on the PSU PCB assy made the most sense for exhausting the heat from that. I'll know more once I've measured it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nevetslab; 07-29-2022, 04:44 PM.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Working...
    X