Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for Mackie 5k Rev Log Gain Trim Pots DFX12 mixer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for Mackie 5k Rev Log Gain Trim Pots DFX12 mixer?

Every so many years, our rehearsal studio/rental gear complex Maintenance man brings me his aging Macike DFX12 mixer, with the usual complaints of it behaving intermittently. This time I got railroaded into this repair which is another topic all together, but the result is rendering service in lieu of payment for something ridiculous.

Powered it up, plugged the Mixer XLR Outputs into my Symetrix SX204 Headphone Amp, Sourced it with pink noise thru my HP 353A Xfmr Output/Step Attenuator box (GREAT Interface box for thsoe who don't know it!!), and patched it in, beginning with Ch 1.

The DFX12 is a 12 Ch mic/line mixer....2 Mic/Stereo Line input channels, lower gain, and 2 stereo Line Input channels. Has a 5 band stereo Graphic EQ and an effects unit built in. Typical lots-of-features small footprint Mackie Mixer.

Their Mic Ch Gain pot has traditionally been a weak spot in all of their mixers....1604VLZ series mixers on down. This DFX12 uses a 5k reverse log pot, whereas the 1604VLZ series use a 10k version, same mechanics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5KZY 130-030-02.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	965880 Click image for larger version

Name:	5KZY 130-030-02-2.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	965882 Click image for larger version

Name:	5KZY 130-030-02-3.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	965884

6mm D-shaft. Mackie's P/N for this Reverse Log Pot is 5KZY 130-030-02 (or just 130-030-02). It appears to now be obsolete.

In the past, I've kept them alive by removing them from the PCB, then carefully prying them open and cleaning/lubricating them, then reassembling them, Fresh ones would be a good thing to have, but thus far, I haven't found any new ones. I did see them listed under Reverb, being sourced over in Europe, and other source, also over in Europe.

The other part that's now very dodgy is the Graphic EQ In/Out switch. It's a 4PDT push-button switch...their P/N 500-036-00. They use two of these in the system. The Main/Aux switch, rarely used, sounds fine. The EQ In/Out switch appears to have been the main culprit of the mixer's not having a Right Ch, and that channels Right Master Fader being blamed for the whole thing. Our maintenance man doesn't know his mixer, so re-education is always required.

That switch is also no longer available. Taking one of those apart......thank you NO. I'd swap the switch with the Main/Aux switch, but it still leaves that gamey switch in the path. Maybe removing the switch and hard-soldering the EQ IN Circuit would solve it. If I just bridged the switch contacts IN, pressing the switch to bypass....trouble.

Anyone know of sources for these 5k Rev Lot Pots and the 4PDT push button switches?

Main Service Manual.pdf

DFX 12 Main PCB Assembly Schematics (055-396-01).pdf

DFX 12 Parts List (part #0000090-90, Rev A07, August 2006).pdf
    Attached Files
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

There still seem to be some in Europe

https://www.theaudioguyuk.com/produc...category_id=25

https://reverb.com/item/29127191-mac...-tn-130-030-02

https://britishaudio.com/products/ma...-tn-130-030-02

Or there's the slow boat

https://www.hxlstore.com/8260556498.shtml

Not sure what this means to you logistically for the job
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Many thanks, Chuck. After I had posted this inquiry, the owner wandered in, as I was in the process of taking the unit apart (had only removed all of the knobs, and hadn't gotten into the serious part of disassembly, and didn't want me to go any further. Not sure what his rational was, as it wasn't going to cost him anything further, unless I did have to replace the four Gain Trim pots. I figured at this point, he not wanting to spend money on parts, I was going to have to pull them apart and do my best to restore them. The EQ In/Out switch, best I could do there, assuming no success in in seeping contact leaner into the 4PDT switch would be to remove it, then jumper the contacts that make it IN CIRCUIT and tape the button hold over. He didn't want to go that far, so.... Fine by me. Put the knobs back on, and he will have to live with the gritty distortion on the mic preamps, if he has to turn the gain trim fully CW in his use.

I'll try to get him to put one of my headphones on so I can demonstrate the known issues and how it is at present, and how to keep it working with the usual work-around on his aging Mackie DFX12 mixer.

Comment

9mm right-angle snap-in 5k reverse log pots, 6mm flatted-d shaft, 20mm shaft length:
        CUI devices, part no. PT01-D120D-A502 (don't let the A in the part number fool you, CUI uses A for reverse log, B for linear, C for log, just to keep you on your toes)
        Mouser
        Digikey

Not sure what footprint the switches you need are?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Robinson View Post
          9mm right-angle snap-in 5k reverse log pots, 6mm flatted-d shaft, 20mm shaft length:
          CUI devices, part no. PT01-D120D-A502 (don't let the A in the part number fool you, CUI uses A for reverse log, B for linear, C for log, just to keep you on your toes)
          Mouser
          Digikey

Not sure what footprint the switches you need are?
          That looks like the part, with the 20mm D-Shaft. I looked a bit further, and think I've found the 4PDT EQ In/Out switch: E-Switch TL420EEYA4PDT
          https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...3I22aKUA%3D%3D

I haven't yet ordered either of these parts, nor the 2PDT version of that E-Switch series. I looked at the PCB layout diagram in the DFX12 Service Manual, and the switch terminal pattern looks like a match. Wouldn't know without pulling it all apart, and at present, the owner didn't want to go any further with the servicing.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Comment

Working...
          X