Magnatone weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnatone weirdness

Working on a early 50s ? Varsity 197. Its been re-capped and im seeing that all the resistors are in spec except 1. Right after the 6sj7 theres a 500k on the scem. I will attach a pic . Out of the amp it tests 234k and has red/yel bands (220k ? ) . So , the amp sounds ok but gets farty/ flubby when you crank it up. I thought i would replace this resistor...put in a 470k. This completely kills the signal. Double checked everything . Any ideas? This part looked like it was factory. ??

magnatone_M-197-3-V_PM.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220803_002910.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	965943

I would, without even testing anything, replace the 10M on pin 4 of the 6SJ7. High value older resistors are notorious for going even higher in value.
    A 6SJ7 won't be happy with 500k anode load. 220k is much nearer the mark. Re fit the 220k. 234k is well within spec of a 10% tollerance.
    Check the voltages look about righ around the 6SJ7 and 6V6.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Looks like red/black/yellow to my eye. SO 200k. The amp worked with the 200k, I agree, put it back in, or really use a new 220k.

I am OK with the 10meg for grid leak bias, even if it goes higher, it still should allow the grid to collect a voltage.

Check the plate and screen voltages on the 6SJ7.

On an amp of this age I expect the three electrolytics to be worn out. And the four "film" caps are likely paper caps and are almost assuredly leaky. I'd worry about those caps way before I worry that a resistor is off spec.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The schematic calling for 500k is what caught my eye ...maybe a different version of the amp? The model numbers match

Comment

Beware "model numbers match". I have one Gibson model that has THREE different published schematics, plus from examples through my shop I have THREE hand drawn schematics that are all different and different from the published ones. SIX different schematics for one model name.

I suggest schematics should be considered approximations. And remember these are just guitar amps, not precision equipment.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

DC voltages from both ends of the plate resistor will show if the stage is working properly and which resistor value results in best biasing.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              Beware "model numbers match". I have one Gibson model that has THREE different published schematics, plus from examples through my shop I have THREE hand drawn schematics that are all different and different from the published ones. SIX different schematics for one model name.

I suggest schematics should be considered approximations. And remember these are just guitar amps, not precision equipment.
              I was looking through very similar pre 1953 Magnatone schematics and some use 47k , some use 100k at the inputs of the amps. Mine has 47k 's

http://magnatoneamps.com/schematics.html

Comment

I don't think that is an 'official' schematic. I would think if someone was doing a clean up on the original schematic, they mis-read the 200 as 500.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Im not sure what voltages i need here. Here are some measurements ---

6sj7 plate is 82vdc , and 230v on the other end of the 220k i just installed

the 6V6 has 260v at plate

B+ out of the rect is 310v

bias calculates to 39ma for the 6v6

all the caps are new , all the resistors are new except the 1k/7w , 250/5w and 10k/2w , which test ok

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post

Skylark by chance?

nosaj
                    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I'd monitor B+ (preferably on a scope) and see if it's sagging substantially when the amp is driven hard.
                      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Valvehead View Post

6sj7 plate is 82vdc , and 230v on the other end of the 220k i just installed
                        Means 148V drop across the plate resistor, corresponding to a plate current of 0.7mA.
                        No wonder you get no decent signal with a 470k resistor as that will drop most of the supply voltage, leaving no useful plate voltage.

82V plate voltage is rather low/unfavorable. A lower resistor value (dropping maybe 100V) would increase headroom.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Seems to me it was GA17 or GA19, if failing memory serves me...

Comment

Originally posted by Valvehead View Post
                            bias calculates to 39ma for the 6v6
                            Is that plate or cathode current? What is the 6V6 cathode voltage?
                            You could lower the cathode resistor to 220R, aiming for a cathode current of 50mA.

all the caps are new
                            Does that include the cathode bypass cap?

Best measure output power.
                            Should be around 4W.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Heres something...check out how this 6sj7 is wired compared to the Varsity scem. Should i try this? Mine is close but pin 5 is going straight to ground

http://magnatoneamps.com/schematics/dickerson_1946.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X