Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Altec Lansing 316A Tuner data sheet/schematic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altec Lansing 316A Tuner data sheet/schematic?

Some time in the distant past, though while I've been here at CenterStaging, a client of mine had given me a vintage Altec Lansing 316A Tuner. Very crusty, of course all tubes. I just recently ordered a 6CL8A tube for it, which arrived this past week. It was also missing a 12AT7, so I just today pulled the bottom cover off of it, to have a look inside. Took some photos of it after I had slowly brought up the AC Mains voltage on it, over the course of a couple hours. While I was doing that, I found it very peculiar NOT seeing any Mains Fuse on the Primary. 2-wire Zip Cord, molded plug, went thru a slide-switch type Power Switch, connected with a 2-wire Outlet. When I finally got it up to 120VAC, I was measuring 165VDC, pulling 335mA/34.5W @ 120VAC. I finally found the date code on the power transformer....I'd assume it be from Peerless Transformers, as they've traditionally produced all the transformers for Altec, being owned by Altec 6311 Date code....1963 11th week.

Yup, this looks every bit 59+ years old.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Altec 316A Tuner-9.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	966832 Click image for larger version

Name:	Altec 316A Tuner-3.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	966834 Click image for larger version

Name:	Altec 316A Tuner-4.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	966836

I hadn't noticed any UL Sticker on the chassis, which seemed odd, but then while taking photos of the top side of the chassis, I found it was silkscreened on the corner, just above the AC Mains Outlet. And on that power xfmr is where I found the date code. Horrible solder job on the Capcan that's inside, part of the half-wave rectifier/filter from the xfmr's secondary.

I had a 300 ohm Antenna tacked in place up on the wall, and fetched the end of it, connected it to the antenna terminals, and.....low and behold....it works.

I haven't been able to find a data sheet nor the 4-page service document that is typical of Altec products like this. I have one of their 3" thick Green Binders loaded with all of their tube mixers, tube power amps, Voice of the Theater products, etc. This predates that binder.

Have to wonder HOW did this get UL Approval with NO AC Mains protection? I had connected it thru a fused power strip, just in case, not knowing WHEN this was last powered. No idea WHERE I will park it. My bench is full, and don't really like the idea of placing it atop the B & K 2010/1902 Audio Analyzer, adding further tip-over possibilities if we get any major earthquakes here in LA.

Anyone out there have older Altec Service Doc's, that might have this product? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

I'm bettin' it's in the Sam's library if you know someone who has access.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

There is a spec sheet here, no schematic though. https://greatplainsaudio.com/altec-l...ne-generators/

Comment

Nevets does it pick up old radio programs? Nice find & I hope you can find a safe place to park it & maybe have some background music / real audio test signal source for your workshop. I had a much less prestigious tuner, chassis only, parked atop my Champ bench test amp for about 20 years. Listened to many hours of investment advice from Bob Brinker plus all the other delights small town radio stations can bring. No syndicated bloviators please!
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeek View Post
          There is a spec sheet here, no schematic though. https://greatplainsaudio.com/altec-l...ne-generators/
          Hey....nice find. That's a bit more than I had, and another sheet to add to my thick Altec Binder. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
            Nevets does it pick up old radio programs? Nice find & I hope you can find a safe place to park it & maybe have some background music / real audio test signal source for your workshop. I had a much less prestigious tuner, chassis only, parked atop my Champ bench test amp for about 20 years. Listened to many hours of investment advice from Bob Brinker plus all the other delights small town radio stations can bring. No syndicated bloviators please!
            Wouldn't that be cool it it did pick up old radio programs! Growing up listening to what was left of those shows on the radio if you had to stay home from school picking up some ailment often had such entertainment to help pass the awake time.

looking at that 60 yr old Mallory 3-section cap can makes me want to replace it, but the replacement cost suggests better use for dwindling funds. Lucked oujt with the 6CL8 tube from Tube Depot...think it came in under $12 with shpg, so that's all I had to spend out-of-pocket at present. Used an ECC81 that probably came out of CenterStaging's inventory. Even got the right-side Type 47 lamp to work, after fixing the bulb holder.

Once I get it parked over at the bench someplace, I can take my Dad's garage-sale old Radio Shack radio home, as it WILL run on batteries, so I have SOMETHING to listen to on the next Power Outage. This old Altec tuner better fits the caliber of vintage quality one sees surveying the landscape in my shop.

Comment

The FM is mono only, right ? What's that knob and terminal strip on the right as viewed from the back ?
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Yes Mono unit. The Knob is Volume, and the Octal socket is for the Altec 15095 Output Xfmr (15k Pri, 150/600 ohm Sec via barrier strip).

Comment

Working...
                X