Blackface Fender Bassman AA864 low, distorted output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackface Fender Bassman AA864 low, distorted output

I have a 64 Bassman, AA964 circuit. New electrolytics, new power tubes, grounded ac cord. Amp worked beautifully for about a week then output became "garbled" and compressed. I can audio signal trace to 6L6 grids and have a clean signal but have this nasty "garbled" signal at the plates even with the volume pot set very low. Preamp is working fine and I have clean signal up to the output tubes. All voltages are fine. I have checked every connection in the output section and even traced each wire connection. I have subbed new 6L6's with no change in the output issue. 1.5k's and 470 screens are new as well but I checked them anyway. Checked output jack wiring and connections, they are fine. I rarely get stumped by a vintage Fender but I'm baffled by this one. Output transformer? Fender-Bassman-AA864-Schematic.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jvm; 08-22-2022, 10:36 PM.

Do you have a similar OT laying around you could temporarily sub to see if there is an improvement?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Did you inadvertently plug into the Extension Speaker output instead of the main Speaker Output ? The Speaker Output has a jack that shorts the output unless that jack is used first to protect the output transformer in case the amp is operated with no speaker connected.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Dude, I am planning to sub another OT to see if that is the issue. Loudthud, I am in the proper output jack.

Comment

Problem solved. Blown speaker in my test cabinet. Never assume your test equipment is good! I appreciate the suggestions, guy.

Comment

Ha! Yes, that sux. Just last week I was tracking down a reverb problem. I kept getting intermittent readings on the tank transducers. I chased the problem around for about a half hour, checking cables, tank wires, etc. The wire on one of my meter probes had broken. It was still hanging on, but intermittent. It's definitely a pain when your test equipment fails!
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I can't count how many times I've scratched the hair right off my head looking for a failure in an amp when what seemed like an important symptom was actually peripheral and part of the testing. Well... I can't count because I didn't keep track. But it's happened to me at least five times. Sometimes with whole days lost to the experience
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Have 1ohm cathode resistors been fitted?
                If the signal appearing there is good on the scope, then the valve must be working properly.
                Hence a bad signal at the anode (use a 100x probe!) is most probably due to a bad OT.
                Alternatively / also, if the OT is tested by feeding in a signal to the secondary, the voltage between CT and each anode should be very close.
                My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
                X