No announcement yet.

Fender 68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb Tremolo/bias Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Measure leakage resistance of C50 and C24.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Pull the 6V6s out and check both Pin 5s for bias voltage. If there's no bias voltage at pin 5, but there is a negative bias supply voltage on the bias supply filter cap, then use your R-meter to check for DC-continuity between the bias supply and Pin 5. Could be a bad trace or jumper somewhere. This is a new amp so should be returned under warranty.
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post

If brand new and failed so soon, I would return it to the supplier for replacement or at least order free of charge parts from Fender as a warranty repair which will mean I would get paid for repairing their new faulty amplifier.
        If I were the purchaser, I would expect a replacement and not accept a repair as is my consumer right.
        Neither C24 or C50 are leaking.

The owner said they were unable to get Fender to replace it because of limited inventory and his local authorized service centers either have a bad rep or are booked up for weeks so he was hoping I could help get it sorted.

Comment

If it matters... After reading through this I'm thinking bad intensity pot as Pete implicated.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            If it matters... After reading through this I'm thinking bad intensity pot as Pete implicated.
            I stated previously that the intensity pot, and the speed pot for as well for that matter, are functioning properly. I pulled them out and checked them.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonguitar View Post
              But the bias voltage is controlled smoothly by adjustment of the intensity pot. The pot is working “properly.”
              So the bias is at its normal full voltage at the CCW setting, and 0V or what, at the CW setting?

I’m reminded of occasional reports I’ve read, of Fender pots having a short between track and case.
              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

I had a Fender come in a while back with that very problem. I shot some air into the pot and a chunk of solder came out.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your efforts to help me with this. Apparently it was a cold factory solder joint because after pulling out the related components, testing them, finding no issues and replacing them, the bias is now modulating properly and everything is functioning correctly. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                  X