Loose Fuse Holders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Fuse Holders?

Another client's Fender Deluxe Reverb on the bench, this one stated to have gotten wet, so I removed the chassis to have a look, as it was now crackling. After setting up my lab jacks to support the chassis, I first felt the Fuse Holder, noticing that inspite my having been inside the amp before, I hadn't installed my traditional 'fix' to cure the constant loose Fuse Holders on just about ever Fender Head or Combo Amp I come across these days.

Some time back, what used to be Joe Factor Sales on Burbank Blvd in Burbank....a surplus hardware store that had the largest assortment of NOS Screws accumulated from mfgrs all over for decades, was bought out by Luky's Hardware and moved a few blocks west, just a couple blocks west of Hollywood Way on Burbank Blvd, North Hollywood. They now have three huge bins full of new thin ITL washers having ID of 0.515", OD of 0.625", thickness of 0.040", and PERFECT for installing on both sides of the Littelfuse (or other mfgr's) Fuse Holder Body and Lock nut. As each Fender Chassis comes out of it's cabinet here in the shop, that's one of the first things I do....if I haven't already installed the inside/outside set of lock washers. First two images are prior to installing the lock washers. Works better with video, but I'm not set up yet for that, so flipping between the two images, you'll see my twisting the outside fuse cap causing the fuse holder to rotate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Deluxe Reverb Fuse Holder-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	967534 Click image for larger version  Name:	Deluxe Reverb Fuse Holder-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	967536

Next images show one of the thin ITL washers slipped onto the fuse holder for the outside lock, then the inside ahead of the mounting nut.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Deluxe Reverb Fuse Holder-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	967538 Click image for larger version  Name:	Deluxe Reverb Fuse Holder-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	967540 Click image for larger version  Name:	Deluxe Reverb Fuse Holder-7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.25 MB ID:	967542

Click image for larger version  Name:	Deluxe Reverb Fuse Holder-5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	967544

NOW they stay put. I've been installing these now on all of our Fender amps for the past few years, as well as other amps as I find their fuse holders loose. Luky's must have at least 10,000 of them if not more, as their large wooden bins/shelves where they keep them must be 2 ft deep, 2 ft wide, with a front height of at least a foot on the aisle where they keep their washers. I buy them by the large handful for $5, so not sure what that amounts to, but cheap. Much better than those large ITL washers for this application. Work great for Toggle Switches having 1/2' dia bushings as well.

Attached Files
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Does the hole in the chassis have the flat sides to prevent the fuse holder from rotating ? Doesn't that negate the necessity of installing the washer on the outside ? I think I have a big bag of those washers somewhere.

Edit: Nice of Fender to use Faston type connectors on the fuse holder, I'd really hate having to unsolder then re-solder two or more wires to the holder.
    Last edited by loudthud; 09-01-2022, 10:52 PM.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

If I run into that problem, I just snug up the nut and add a dab of loctite or fingernail polish to the threads behind the nut.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
        Does the hole in the chassis have the flat sides to prevent the fuse holder from rotating ? Doesn't that negate the necessity of installing the washer on the outside ? I think I have a big bag of those washers somewhere.

Edit: Nice of Fender to use Faston type connectors on the fuse holder, I'd really hate having to unsolder then re-solder two or more wires to the holder.
        It's a single-D hole so the holder is registered. The Littelfuse holders they use have flats on both sides of the holder.

Since I have a large supply of the thin ITL washers, I put them on both sides just to snug them up when I tighten down the plastic nut. Can't tighten those up much without risking breaking them. I do like the idea of a little Glyptol on the threads.

Comment

Was it Littlefuse that used to supply a rubber washer with their holders ?

Plastic nut ? How long before the holder just snaps in ?
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
            Was it Littlefuse that used to supply a rubber washer with their holders ?

Plastic nut ? How long before the holder just snaps in ?
            I think I've only broken one of those plastic nuts. The holder usually holds up fine. I think it was Bussman that supplied the rubber washer. I haven't seen one of those in some time. These 345 series Littelfuse Holders that Fender uses are the cheaper variety. I've had a couple just fail when the stamped metal clips get bent, but under normal use, apart from finding them perpetually loose, they work fine. Just need additional parts to keep them tight....hence these nice little shiny new thin ITL washers I've been using.

Comment

Working...
            X