Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Mercury Tremolo problem

Hi, I hope someone here can help.

I have this old Marshall Mercury I'm fixing up for a friend.
    I've completed all the usual servicing bits, and was making good progress, but the tremolo has me a bit stumped.
    The tremolo works, and the intensity control works well, but the speed control does so little it's virtually imperceptible.
    I've replaced the capacitors, and some resistors which had gone a little high.
    I've tried changing the pot to lower and higher values, and I've tried altering the value of R19 slightly in either direction.
    Nothing seems to make the speed control have much effect at all.
    Any ideas please?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tremolo.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	968499

Many thanks,

Ewan​

That seems nuts, dunno how it could have any useful range
    I suggest to try halving R19 to 100k, and using a 1M or 2M pot for VR3.

I remember a friend having an orangy red Mercury combo as his first amp - happy days
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Thanks - I'll give that a try.

Ewan
      ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
        That seems nuts, dunno how it could have any useful range
        I suggest to try halving R19 to 100k, and using a 1M or 2M pot for VR3.

I remember a friend having an orangy red Mercury combo as his first amp - happy days
        Many thanks PDF64 - I halved R19 to 100k and after a bit of experimentation, settled on a 500K Linear pot. The speed control has a sensible range now. :-)

Ewan

Comment

Could be a schematic typo? Maybe VR3 was supposed to be 1M all along. Time passes and pretty soon things get funny even at the manufacturing level. There are a few cases like that I've read about here.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            Could be a schematic typo? Maybe VR3 was supposed to be 1M all along. Time passes and pretty soon things get funny even at the manufacturing level. There are a few cases like that I've read about here.
            I'll wager that is not a Marshall factory drawing from the 70s. So it's questionable.
            If Ewan drew that up based on what he found in the amp, no guarantee it's factory either.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Revisiting the visual that seems very likely.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
              X