Tools for Molex pins and connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for Molex pins and connectors

I'm replacing the OT in a Peavey 5150, and I want to terminate the wires with female molex pins, just like the original. How can I figure out which female Molex pins to buy, and which die for my Ideal Crimpmaster, and which extractor tool to get the pins out of the current connectors? Pin length is ~21mm, and hole diameter in the connectors is ~4.5mm. Inside diameter of the female pins is ~2.5mm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	molex.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	969605

--
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Are these tools something you plan to use often? You can spend a lot of $ on molex tools, extractor, crimper, pins, etc. What I've done in the past is carefully remove the pins with a very small jewler's screwdriver, uncrimp/unhook the original wire, and then install the new wire in the orginal pins using a bit of solder. Then reinsert the pins into the connector. It's a bit time consuming, but so is installing new pins. Plus, you don't have to wait for tools and pins to arrive.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks, Dude. I run into this often enough that I want to get outfitted, but not so often I want to spend a bundle. Here's what I loaded into my cart:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.37.57 PM.png
Views:	171
Size:	533.8 KB
ID:	969609
      Attached Files
      --
      I build and repair guitar amps
      http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

FWIW: I wasn't trying to talk you out of it. If you do enough of this kind of thing, it's certainly worth having the right tools. I personally see this kind of thing only once every couple years.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I use those 0.093" dia male & female terminals with the Molex housings myself. I've had a Molex crimp tool that works on them...might not be the correct tool (would have to do digging thru their doc's to confirm it) but it's always worked for me. And have extraction tools that work with them too....might also not be Molex, but have worked. Wandering thru the Molex literature to get to THEIR tool specs probably gets you to some specs that (perhaps) can be used to find what inserts to buy for your Ideal Crimpmaster tool. I've never owned one of those, so don't know their tool system.
          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Have a look through the 'crimping tool' thread in case there is something of use to you. https://music-electronics-forum.com/...-crimping-tool
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Long time ago (10 years or more) I looked into buying the "Genuine Molex Extractor" tool, as I had some connectors that needed to be reconfigured/rewired.
              Stupidly expensive! esp for what it is...

Had a hard time finding a less expensive version.
              Nobody seemed to make one... Did Molex have a patent lock on their stuff?

Glad to see there are now cheaper options......
              but back then I decided to be "Done" with Molex anything and their outrageous pricing.

I converted to other types/brands of reasonably priced connectors and tools.
              If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
              I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Working...
              X