JBL E-120 -- foam from vent is loose inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBL E-120 -- foam from vent is loose inside

This speaker is awesome for guitar. But the foam shield from the rear vent has disintegrated and fallen inside, where I can see it sliding around on the aluminum dust cap. In the photo, you can see the foam as a dark circle...we should not be able to see the reflective aluminum--the foam is loose and has fallen out of the rear grille. Any way to get it out without disfiguring the label?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	623.5 KB
ID:	970414
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Probably the best way would be to remove the dust cap, then foam, then re-glue a new dust cap. I would definitely remove the foam before pieces of it lodge into the gap.
    This part is preference, but if I were removing the dust cap, I'd install a paper cap replacement. IMO, those aluminum dust caps add an undesirable resonance to those speakers.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      This part is preference, but if I were removing the dust cap, I'd install a paper cap replacement. IMO, those aluminum dust caps add an undesirable resonance to those speakers.
      True, the aluminum dust cap acts as sort of a tweeter BUT some folks love that tone and depend on it. OTOH I have had some K140 reconed with paper domes, intending to use for bass, not needing a 3 to 7 KHz peak.

Given the age of this series of JBL, from 60's units prior to D series all the way thru E, the foam is deteriorating in all of them, crumbling and turning into muck. What a hassle.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Haven't had hands on with one for a long time so I'll defer to those who have; but is that rear label not more of a plate with the screen part of it?
        If it's just glued on, with a heat gun would it not be as easy to remove as the dust-cap?
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

The label is usually glued on with the same brown Bostik glue that they used to assemble the speaker. It's pretty hard to remove that label without it getting bent to shi+. That said, if you don't care about the label, and many don't, just take it off and leave it off. Do glue the screen back on to keep debris out of the innards.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I'll consider my options. Was thinking I might clip the grille, like a junkyard thief cutting a chain link fence, and then glue it firmly back together with some UV-cure resin.
            --
            I build and repair guitar amps
            http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Working...
            X