No announcement yet.

Ghost Note Causes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I was running about 600hz to 1k, grids look clean, varying tone controls can alter the waveform

I can get around 20vac into 4 ohms clean, above that waveform peaks start getting ripples on them
    Clean:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221117_194257372.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	973331

RIppley peaks: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221117_194306273.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	973332

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
      varying tone controls can alter the waveform
      Not if you directly feed into the PI and your sig generator is low impedance. Otherwise always adjust for best sine when measuring output power.

I can get around 20vac into 4 ohms clean, above that waveform peaks start getting ripples on them
      Is that RMS or p-p?
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

RMS This thing is a beast putting out like 150 watts peak.

I ran a preamp with guitar straight into the PI, still ghosted, tried driving each output tube grid with an amp but couldn't drive it enough to ghost.

I have to ask the owner if he left the output transformer connected in any way when he tried another OT.

The plate leads look like they were unsoldered, but the center tap HV doesn't, don't know if that would make a difference.

Comment

As the amp can deliver at least 100W of (almost) clean power, I'd say the OT is good. At least has none of the usual issues.

Also seems clear now that the ghosting happens in the power amp.
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-18-2022, 02:00 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Well I can run the preamp into an external power amp to make sure the problem is definitely in the power amp.

Comment

RMS This thing is a beast putting out like 150 watts peak.

I ran a preamp with guitar straight into the PI, still ghosted, tried driving each output tube grid with an amp but couldn't drive it enough to ghost.

I have to ask the owner if he left the output transformer connected in any way when he tried another OT.

The plate leads look like they were unsoldered, but the center tap HV doesn't, don't know if that would make a difference.
              What is your lead dress from the PI on to the outputs? Could one side of the PI be coupling the signal in to the otherside producing the Ghost in the Machine?
              nosaj
              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Standard Marshall wiring from the PI through the power amp.

It does have some "mystery mod" that takes the master volume signal, runs it through a "cupcake" of goop and sends a boosted signal back to the bass pot.
                The "cupcake" of goop has high voltage DC going into it.
                I disconnected this mod but ghost notes are still present.

I tried another OT, no dice.

Thanks all.

Comment

As long as the power amp (including PI) is well balanced, it has good ripple rejection regarding B+, screen node and bias ripple.
                  This is likely to change when it's overdriven and grid signals get asymmetrical (duty cycle shift and blocking distortion).
                  So make sure the screen supply has low ripple and the bias is clean.
                  Could even be a shorted choke.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Filter caps were all changed, I attached external cap to each node to double check, bias is clean Choke measure 105 ohms, unless it's breaking down under load.

Screen supply has these weird "peaks" of signal (?) When amp is cranked

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221118_193241274.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	973375

​​​​​​​They're about 1v p-p

Comment

The extra gain stage is inserted before the cathode follower stage.
                      switching it off, removing the tube makes no difference.

The tubes are balanced within a couple mv, and I tried different ones.

Increasing the presence increases the ghosting/oscillation.

Signal hitting output tube grids is nice and clean, after OT it looks like this: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221117_164127701.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	973308
                      You know even with the tube out the wires can still act as antenna and pickup and inject signal. maybe scope some of those wires with tube out while ghost noting?
                      nosaj
                      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Choke measure 105 ohms,
                        A few (of hundreds) shorted turns would hardly show in DCR, but will significantly lower impedance.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                        X