Fender Hot Rod ch1 volume taper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Hot Rod ch1 volume taper

Hey all I'm sure you guys have noticed the volume jump on the clean channel of the Fender Hot Rod series

i forget what I changed it to the last time someone requested it, I want to say 250k, that right for any of you that have done this?

Change to an audio taper pot to replace the linear that is in there from factory.
    Same value.
    If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
    I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

The normal channel volume pot value for the HR series is 250k 15% audio taper now. Not a linear taper. This according to the schematic. I've never opened one to see what is actually in the amps.

There's not much to be done in this case. Since you're working with a PCB it's not easy to simply use a different value pot and jumper resistors to correct value and taper, etc. What you could do is get a Bourns 250k log pot. They are 10% taper. That's a little improvement anyway. If you want to use the pot bracket mount you will need lift the cover tabs from the pot you have, remove the bracket and install it on the Bourns pot. There may be some retrofitting necessary.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

^^^^^^That. I might try using a 5751 or some other lower gain tube in the V1 position instead of changing the pot. I've also seen folks put a volume control in the effects loop as a sort of "master volume". All you need is a box, 2 jacks and a pot.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          ^^^^^^That. I might try using a 5751 or some other lower gain tube in the V1 position instead of changing the pot. I've also seen folks put a volume control in the effects loop as a sort of "master volume". All you need is a box, 2 jacks and a pot.
          This would change the gain structure of the OD channel too (thought it was worth mentioning). In the HR series amps both channels operate off the same first gain stage. Ala Bruce Zinky Prosonic. The amp which all Fender channel switching amps have been based on since it's inception (FWIW).

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Yep, gain structure of both channels would be effected. It's usually not a problem because the gain channel volume is equally hard to adjust.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              Yep, gain structure of both channels would be effected. It's usually not a problem because the gain channel volume is equally hard to adjust.
              I forget that most amps have ample gain in their "gain" channel. I'm admittedly old school in some ways. I've played enough HR series amps and I'm sure using a 5751 still generates enough gain for ninety percent of players. If it doesn't then you're a metal player and you bought the wrong amp

Comment

Working...
              X