Early 50’s Flot-a- tone 600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 50’s Flot-a- tone 600

Hey, gang. Hope alls been well with you. Have an old Flota on the bench with a very early de armond trem control module on board. Very cool amp. Have just completed a complete cap job replacing all electrolytics and coupling caps. All remaining resistors test great surprisingly. Have replaced v1, frozen pots, and 1/4” jacks. Have one remaining issue I haven’t been able to sort out. When turning up the volume(s), I’m getting a bassy rumble and rustling sound until I get past 3 or so and then it’s normal until I reach around the end of the rotation, where the signal goes silent. The rustling noise if very much like a dirty pot type sound where it can be modulated with the control.

I appreciate any help or direction. There doesn’t seem to be a schematic online for this amp.
    ~F
    "Ruining good moments since 1975"

A schematic would help. Please link or upload if you can. That aside, check for DC on the pot.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I know I worked on one of these, can't remember it.

Didn't this board bring up similar conversations at the bottom at one time?

Comment

I worked on a Flot-a-Tone years ago. The most pernicious issue was a mystery rattle. It was dried up glue under the tolex/wallpaper/cabinet covering, and the material was rattling against the cabinet when played.
        --
        I build and repair guitar amps
        http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

I’ll see if I could draw the input stage sometime this weekend. The inputs literally connect directly to the volume pots. Then off to the 6sl7.
          ~F

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
            I know I worked on one of these, can't remember it.

Didn't this board bring up similar conversations at the bottom at one time?
            That's right, there used to be 'similar' threads linked at the bottom, which was nice. But the search feature now is much improved.
            Here's the schematic you posted before, and the version cleaned up/tweaked by The Dude

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=850059&d=1662508354.jpg Views:	0 Size:	499.8 KB ID:	973411
            Attached Files
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Good effort, but that’s not this girl! No reverb or onboard trem. Trem is an external module.
              ~F

Comment

Here is a copy of a SE 6l6.
                Forget the SE part.
                The input may be similar.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hey, that’s pretty dang close! Here’s a pic of the chassis prior to service. Three shielded cables enter the chassis at v1 chassis is bottom mounted and control panel sits remotely on top. Actually I believe one of the shielded cables comes off the v1 plate. Need to trace it out. Pic of the cool de armond trem.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by fdesalvo; 11-19-2022, 09:20 PM.
                  ~F

Comment

Resolved! After making a second pass over the tube socket, I found some conductivity between the pins. After a thorough cleaning, the issue is gone. TY all for the help. Have a happy thanksgiving!
                    ~F

Comment

Working...
                    X