Stumped on this HRD blowing fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumped on this HRD blowing fuses

2002 board blowing fuses with no power tubes in.
    I started at the power transformer and was able to get to SP1 choke connection until it started blowing fuses.
    So I can disconnect SP1, leave all OT connections intact, and it doesn't blow fuses. Voltages at OT CT is good 480V, and same at plate leads
    At that point I noticed the filter cap at the node of the OTHER side of the choke(SP2) had a broken lead, so I replaced it, thinking that would do it.
    It still was blowing fuses, so isolate even further, from the other end of B+, I disconnect one end of the 4K7 R74 at the "Z" node, and the amp is blowing.

So it's gotta be the choke, right? I subbed in a 270r 10W, and it started smoking. I further tested the choke by leaving SP1 connected, and removing SP2 . Amp didn't blow.

So I believ the OT and choke to be OK

So that narrows it down to the Z node, right? That's the screen node, and the only thing at the end of that road is the screen Rs . They both read 470r, so short of replacing them, what else could even be a possibility?

Schematic p10 : http://badraven.com/Fender_Manuals/H...d%20Deluxe.pdf

I got it. I haven't been doing this THAT long, but this one was a first for me. At the screen ribbon connector pcb pad, on the tube board, the clipped, bent-ver lead on the underside of the board had rusted, and had barely rusted into the trace below it, shorting 2 traces, essentially. I cleaned it up and we're good to go.

Comment

So you replaced C33?
      Sure polarity is correct?
      Lift one end and see if it still blows the fuse.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
      X