Carr Slant V6 Amp Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carr Slant V6 Amp Repair

I've got a Carr Slant V6 amp in for tuneup and I am finding almost no information to assist with circuit tracing or troubleshooting. Some internet posts say that Carr will not provide help or documentation to independent shops and owners are told to return the amp to the factory for service. Does anyone know otherwise? I can eventually figure out the circuitry but I'd like to save myself some time and my customer some cost. Note that these amps are constructed with true point to point wiring. Aluminum electrolytic caps are used for cathode bypass caps but the original filter caps are all Solen Polypropylene devices. The construction technique reminds me more of a user constructed Heathkit back in the day than high end commercial or mil construction of old.

The complaint is that the amp is too noisy. The noise is hiss similar to that present in the early generations of solid state guitar amps. The hiss level is not affected by the volume or tone controls but is a little affected by the reverb control setting. The customer is not concerned about the hiss level during live performances but says that it is an issue for recording. (I have not started the isolation process yet)

There are two significant unknown issues at this time:
    1) I don't know if the hiss I hear is "normal" for this amp. I don't want to chase a ghost nor turn this repair into a science project.
    2) The customer says that the amp was modified to make the reverb active on both the clean and the overdive channels. He said that his amp, which was manufactured in 2004, originally had reverb only on the clean channel. However, I found that the Slant 6V owners manual, ©​ 2011, states that the reverb works on both channels. The customer is sure that his amp did not originally have reverb on the overdrive channel. Visually, I do see an electrolytic cap that does not look original but that is the only indication of a mod.

Any helpful tips or links to user experiences or documentation associated with this amp would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Tom

It looks like there are schematics posted in this thread, but you'll have to register to see them. I'm not a member there, so can't verify.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11945
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Thanks Dude!
      That link is very useful in that it shed light on several questions I had. I'm surprised that my several google searches did not find the amp garage thread.

Comment

Working...
      X