Ampeg V4 1977 Troubleshooting Weird voltages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg V4 1977 Troubleshooting Weird voltages

Got a Ampeg v4 1977. Customer complained of intermittent sound, then it went silent. Checked preamp tubes ,power tubes are new 7027. When I crank volume all the way I get sligh signal passing briefly. Also bringin it up on current limiter, shows some kind of short (bulb glowing dimly) Voltages are very low at node A should be around 530v, we have 386v . Replaced recitifier diodes. No change. When in standby I get -522v at screen taps( this is ultralinear design). Worried of transformer short. Ideas?

The way I would do this, is remove the output tubes. Put in a sine wave at the input and use scope to check the path of the signal to see where it drops out. Do you have audio on the line out jack?

Comment

There is and external amp socket. This works both as slave out and power amp in.
      I would check the power section by inserting a signal at that point. I will know where the fault lies after that simple check; Power or Preamp.
      The dim lamp will glow due to heater and HT current.
      Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
      If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by vmazz View Post
        Also bringin it up on current limiter, shows some kind of short (bulb glowing dimly) Voltages are very low at node A should be around 530v, we have 386v . Replaced recitifier diodes. No change. When in standby I get -522v at screen taps( this is ultralinear design). Worried of transformer short. Ideas?
        On bulb limiter all secondary voltages are lower than normal, because the lamp takes away from the input voltage.
        The more current the amp draws the lower the voltages in the amp.

There are no signs of a bad PT.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Please post schematic.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Is this the one with a 'distortion' control and 6AN8 tube?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ampeg VT22_Schem2.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	977203
              Yes this is the one with 6an8 and distortion. Iv ehad issues with my signal generator. Im sure the issue is with maintaining the bias. It keeps dropping to -90v . Replaced both resisistors in bias circuit, it cam back to -50v for a minute and we had sound. But it drifted back down.

Comment

What happens to your B+ voltage when this happens? I'm wondering if you're losing your ground via the standby switch. Have you checked the switch itself? Maybe just jumper across the standby switch temporarily to see if it fixes the problem.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  What happens to your B+ voltage when this happens? I'm wondering if you're losing your ground via the standby switch. Have you checked the switch itself? Maybe just jumper across the standby switch temporarily to see if it fixes the problem.
                  Great idea. I thought the switch might be the culprit .The amp is back on the road unfinished. I wll relay to the owner-next shop.

Comment

You spoke of screen taps and ultralinear design, but that is not what this is. It runs the screens off a separate PT winding. Screens run at a relatively low voltage (338V) which is how they get away with only -30 is volt bias.
                    Is it possible you mixed up nodes A and E in post #1 ?
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

You are right. I assumed ultra linear. But Im certain I didnt mistake the nodes. The problem was not overall low b+ but is the bias voltage dropping negative.

Comment

That standby looks to leave the output valves momentarily unbiased when standby is flipped from standby to operate mode, as their HT feeds will charge up much faster than their bias supply. So inducing a massive surge in cathode current, potentially degrading it.
                        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                          That standby looks to leave the output valves momentarily unbiased when standby is flipped from standby to operate mode, as their HT feeds will charge up much faster than their bias supply. So inducing a massive surge in cathode current, potentially degrading it.
                          Bias supply stays charged during standby as it's always fed from the PT (just as the other 2 supplies).
                          The standby switch just lifts the ground connection.

Contact resistance of the standby switch adds a negative voltage to all 3 supplies.
                          Last edited by Helmholtz; 02-01-2023, 02:40 PM.
                          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Ah, yes, thanks.
                            That’s different to the earlier versions then?
                            https://www.ampegv4.com/images/schematics/V4.jpg
                            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                              That’s different to the earlier versions then?
                              https://www.ampegv4.com/images/schematics/V4.jpg
                              Definitely.
                              Look at the PT secondaries of post #7.
                              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                              X