peavey silver stripe bandit tune up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peavey silver stripe bandit tune up

hello! I got an identical silver stripe bandit to pair with my main bandit. the silver stripe bandits have a pre amp out and pwr amp in jack and so i can jack the new bandit pre amp into the main bandit's pwr amp and compair the two preamps through the main bandit's power amp and speaker cab.
    the new bandit just sounds a little "tired"...it sounds like the gain on the new is pulled back to 9 compaired to the main's 10. is there anything that can be done to tune up this new bandit and make it more...idk punchy?

Mostly what I do is clean all the control pots and jacks. Inspect all the solder joints and look for anything that doesn't look right. Usually I find one of the pots was really dirty and/or overused. As far as replacing parts we need a schematic to reference anything specific. Seriously I would only clean and inspect the amp first before making any major changes. We just want to rule out the easy things first.
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Yup!
      That.

Comment

I agree with the Doctor. - clean pots and jacks, checks solder joints, especially the input jacks and pots.

The Silver Stripe brought the introduction of the Sheffield 1230, 8 ohm speaker. Check to make sure you have this speaker. I have seem a few Bandits on Craigslist where the speaker was swapped out for something else. In one case, a guy was selling his bandit with a 16 ohm speaker !! Good lord... Make sure the speaker connection terminals are clean and snug.

Schematic - Peavey_Bandit_112_Silver_Stripe_1995.pdf
        It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

thanks for the responses. i was using the exact same speaker, cab, and power amp for both preamps so the speaker isnt suspect. however...i realized that i was using a fairly worn out and long guitar cable to connect the bad sounding amp to the good amp. that could be the cause of it sounding just a little worse.. all the pots are cleaned so i will also clean the fx loop and the other jacks. hopefully that will make it sound perfect...thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X