Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Ampeg B15N power transformer help

I have on my workbench 63 B15N
    It has unusual, but original transformer windings. I have never seen another like that

Usually it has taps for HV, 6.3V, 5V, but this one has also blue/white, black/white and blue taps (see pic). I managed to check that black/white is the main voltage tap (on every other B15N its just black one but here we dont have any black). But is there any way to check if others are - for example 220-240V taps? I'm in europe, so having 240V tap would be cool!

I havent found any schematics with wire color codes.
    Attached Files

We normally find they are either 240volt or 120volt.
    Put the amplifier on your variac and measure the HT voltage at the 120v setting. You are looking for 440volts ish. If it is low or not there, it is a 240volt version, otherwise 120volt and will require a 100v/A auto transformer.
    If you have already unwired the primary then you will have fun working out what goes where. Put ist back as it was and run the test.
    I have not seen an original transformer with striped PVC wires. They were all single colour, not striped.
    Could it be a new transformer in the old bells?
    Sometimes there is a mains voltage stated on the rear board.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

The B15S had 240V option. The wiring for 120V is not clear from the diagram. Usually both primary's are paralleled for 120V
      To me, the attached drawing looks like it's wired for 240V.
      Attached Files
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
        We normally find they are either 240volt or 120volt.
        Put the amplifier on your variac and measure the HT voltage at the 120v setting. You are looking for 440volts ish. If it is low or not there, it is a 240volt version, otherwise 120volt and will require a 100v/A auto transformer.
        If you have already unwired the primary then you will have fun working out what goes where. Put ist back as it was and run the test.
        I have not seen an original transformer with striped PVC wires. They were all single colour, not striped.
        Could it be a new transformer in the old bells?
        Sometimes there is a mains voltage stated on the rear board.
        It's deafinitely 120V and blk/wh is the tap for 120V and all correct voltages are right
        The amp, when I got it, had blue and blue/wh wires taped, unconnected (hanging freely)
        So just asking if there's anything I can do to check?
        Transformer looks stock original, made with black goo inside and old looking (correct gauge and color and "vibe") wires

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          The B15S had 240V option. The wiring for 120V is not clear from the diagram. Usually both primary's are paralleled for 120V
          To me, the attached drawing looks like it's wired for 240V.
          I thought about that, but it does not use rectifier tube, and I have here 5V taps too... so weird..

But, If we say its okay to follow the B15S diagram,
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Zrzut ekranu 2023-02-24 o 20.33.57.png
Views:	105
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	978295

The blk + blk-white I have now for 120V is correct, right?

So, for 240V I need to join blk + blue wh? and connet mains between blk/wh + blue??

Comment

Yes and yes.
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Fit a three core mains lead and plug and remove C32 before it bites you. They don't like 240volt mains!
              If P.L. is a neon, it will quickly fail with 240v across it, wire an 82k 1/4 W resistor in series with it to match the correct voltage.
              Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
              If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
                Fit a three core mains lead and plug and remove C32 before it bites you. They don't like 240volt mains!
                If P.L. is a neon, it will quickly fail with 240v across it, wire an 82k 1/4 W resistor in series with it to match the correct voltage.
                I do that withe very B15N that comes to my hands. Cut the death cap and completely remove wiring to polarity switch, but leave it for "the look" only. 63 model has two 6v bulbs to drive the plexiglass etched logo, so no neon lights. And 3-prong cord + new filter caps are always first things I do!

Comment

Yes and yes.
                  That did the trick. I have 240V here! So kind of "rare" I'd say in a 63 B15...

Comment

Originally posted by boroman View Post

That did the trick. I have 240V here! So kind of "rare" I'd say in a 63 B15...
                    Good stuff. Did you have to change the connections for the bulb, or did it stay connected to the same winding?

Comment

Good stuff. Did you have to change the connections for the bulb, or did it stay connected to the same winding?
                      It's a '1963 model that have two bulbs inside lighting the pleixglass logo. Bulbs are fed from 6,3V so no need to change anything than the primary wiring job like above. Amp was a real mess, goo from caps, dirty, 16/8ohm switches etc. I brought it back to specs today, with new power supply caps, all original conenctions and removed non original stuff. Will be testing everything today... and I need new plexiglass logo!

Comment

If it's convenient, you can wire the neon pilot light to the connection between the two primaries so it only sees 120V.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B15_pri_240.png
Views:	81
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	978633
                        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

For what it's worth, I have had those PTs rewound before and re-tarred. So, it is not beyond the possibility it may not be original.
                          It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Working...
                          X