Curbow preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curbow preamp

I have a curbow preamp customer put 9v in backwards(bad batter holder design. Looking at it when it was done it looks like there was a j106 diode on the return line for battery that took the brunt and burnt up. I'm going to replace it but was curious if a higher wattage SMD diode would be in order( Just not work until battery flipped over.)"
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Ok maybe j106 is not a diode but a tatulum cap instead. I would like to integrade a diode somehow to protect the preamp board.
    Thanks,
    nosaj

Comment

I suppose what needs to be determined is if bumping component rating could cause damage to other components down stream (should such an error happen again). If not then there's no harm in bumping component rating to improve product reliability. Maybe if that mistake is made again it doesn't work.?. And that can be worked out. But at least it's not broken.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I have to ask,............How do you install a 9V battery backwards and have it still make contact? That must be a HORRIBLE battery holder design.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          I have to ask,............How do you install a 9V battery backwards and have it still make contact? That must be a HORRIBLE battery holder design.
          I thought the same thing but was too couteous to ask
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I've had a couple of cheap electro-acoustic guitars for repair where the battery could be reversed in the holder. They came in as not working and just needed the battery repositioning - no other damage done. The only provision was a +/- marking on the inside of the holder.

Comment

Sometimes they have slots in the plastic cut a little narrower for the (+) end. If it's not done right you can install the battery reversed.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Here's a pic. I thing my DE-5000 was that way when I had it.
                nosaj

Comment

Well, at least they have a picture of the battery inside- not that it would help many of the musicians I know. They may have overestimated the average intelligence of their clientele.
                  Last edited by The Dude; 03-03-2023, 10:39 PM.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I was able to track someone down on talkbass with the same preamp He was able to identify the chip in question. An with wiring diagram was able to get it up and running( as all i had was the preamp pcb). The tatalum cap I ordered was 2x the size of the pad. So I took an old school dipped tatalum cap and just so happens there are 2 through hole pads for that posistion. 10uf 16v is what i used

nosaj
                    Just thought I'd post follow up for another soul out there.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	corbow2.png
Views:	146
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	981260 Click image for larger version

Name:	corbow.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	933.8 KB
ID:	981261

Comment

Working...
                    X