Marshall JVM 205H squealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JVM 205H squealing

Greetings fellow electron manipulators! So I have this Marshall JVM 205H on the bench. Amp sounds delicious... For anywhere between 30 seconds and a minute forty five. Then the signal starts to crackle and then all you hear is a very high pitched squeal. It happens on both channels, on all modes and with either of the master volumes engaged. Also happens with the effects loops on or off. I tested the power tubes and the input tube and the PI. They all tested good. (Buuuuut I have seen preamp tubes that test "good" and sound like garbage, so there's that) So I cracked her open. The solder on the tube sockets was atrocious. On the phase inverter, 2 pins didn't even look soldered. I sucked all of.it out on all the pins then resoldered it all, to no avail... Have any of you fine techs seen anything like this in a similar amp? Like I said, she sounds phenomenal til she heats up. I can turn the standby switch to "not playing" and let it cool down for a minute or so, flip the switch and she will sound very good for another minute or so and then crackles and squeals. Thanks for looking.

Try tapping each valve gently and listen for the ringing sound, if it rings, that valve is noisy, probably causing your issue.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Working...
    X