Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should I go about removing these speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should I go about removing these speakers?

I’m looking to remove these speakers from my Roland JC-120 so I can replace them with actual Roland JC-120 speakers. How do I go about this without damaging anything? And is this something so I should do myself or am I better off having a professional do it?

I’m unhappy with this amp as it is because the clean tone isn’t clean and the treble is painful to the ears. I expected a great clean sound based on what I’d heard about the Roland JC-120 but I ended up with this. Am I right to assume that it’s because of the modified speakers that it doesn’t sound as good?
    Attached Files

Remove the rear amplifier cover, unplug the 6.35mm lugs from the speakers, unscrew the nuts hoding the speakers to the baffle board and lift the speakers away.
    Types of speakers will modify the tone.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

"Clean tone isn't clean" could well be sign of a blown speaker, or both, where the voice coil is rubbing in the gap and/or paper torn. "Treble is painful to the ears" My sentiments about the JC120, exactly. Over the years several versions of the amp, and I'm sure speaker changes too, but I've always found them brittle sounding. The aluminum dust dome in the stock speakers does not help, rather brings out spiky treble tones.

Before spending on replacement speakers, I would recommend play the amp into known working speakers. Try several different kinds if you can. I'm sure you'll get some suggestions here. I'll start, I'm a big fan of Eminence Texas Heat. Rated to take 150 watts, so not likely to be wrecked by your JC. Good wide range response, ear friendly across many amp/guitar/music types. Fairly affordable, looks like $125 from a variety of sources.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
        I would recommend play the amp into known working speakers. Try several different kinds if you can.
        This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^

This would also tell if the clean tone not being clean is the fault of the speakers in the amp or if that might be some other problem.

EDIT: Some research indicates that the "Fender Special Design" speakers you have in there (Eminence 025923) were used in a lot of mid line and solid state Fender amps from the late 80's to ???. Most people think they lack bottom end and a the few *outube clips I watched seem to corroborate that. Still... You should try the amp through known good speakers before jumping to any conclusions. Since the stock JC120 speakers tend to be bright also those speakers may be a good match for the amp and we don't yet know that they are responsible for the bad tone and distortion.
        Last edited by Chuck H; 03-30-2023, 01:18 PM.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

What various settings on the amp are you dialed into? In other words what does the amp sound like with volume set from 1-6? Does the breakup occur in the preamp or is it speaker rub. Those speakers are not overly anemic and unless they are bad I suspect you just might not like the breakup sound of the amp. TBD
          When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            ...a few *outube clips
            What's wrong with using the correct name?

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Since the speakers have been changed, there's also the possibility that they were wired out of phase, which would result in a thin sound with little low frequency or, said differently, too much high frequency. The first thing I'd do is check that they are wired correctly and that they're in phase.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                Since the speakers have been changed, there's also the possibility that they were wired out of phase, which would result in a thin sound with little low frequency or, said differently, too much high frequency.
                I was thinking same. One of the diagrams I have for JC120 shows white and orange as the spkr. (+) terminals, so it appears to be wired correct, assuming the wiring itself is all stock.

Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

What's wrong with using the correct name?
                  Usually when you use the actual name it automatically highlights in blue, identifies the site and creates a link. I just prefer not to do that.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Test: amazon, youtube, ebay.

Doesn't seem to happen using my notebook.
                    But I've seen it with smartphones.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I'm using Chrome from a desktop. There may or may not be some way to disable automatic links for keywords but I haven't looked into it. Since it doesn't happen with your system it may be a Chrome thing and not a V-Bulletin thing.

Comment

Using Firefox.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                          it may be a Chrome thing and not a V-Bulletin thing.
                          That makes sense, as chrome, google, and youtube are all the same company.

Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

There may be some links in this... Testes, testes, one, two, THREE!?!

Google
                            You Tube
                            Amazon
                            eBay
                            Esty
                            Pinterest
                            Twitter

google
                            youtube
                            amazon
                            ebay
                            esty
                            pinterest
                            twitter

EDIT: Ok, that's weird. No links at all.?. So often when I've written youtube in other posts it creates a link.

Comment

I also use Chrome, and I've not had links come up when typing the actual site names.
                              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                              X