Lowering plate current in Marshall 1974X Reissue Combo Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mozz View Post
    Is it odd that the plate voltage did not rise from 321v when you increased the cathode resistor?
    Yes. It DID indeed rise. I have it on the bench now, opened up, and just using DC Voltmeters for the measurements instead of the Bias Probes. The plate voltage at Pin 7 of either EL84 tube sockets, I have 340.8VDC. I have 12.09VDC across the 120 ohm cathode resistor, and 0.937VDC across the 100 ohm screen resistor. So, calculating the idle current....12.09VDC / 120 ohm = 101mA, and having seen previous balance current thru the two new tubes, that gives us 50.5mA. Screen current is 0.937V/100 ohms for 9.37mA total, or 4.69mA per tube. So, Plate current per tube would be Ip - Is, or 50.5mA - 4.69mA = 45.7mA. Plate voltage is 340.8V - 12.09V = 329VDC, and Pwr Diss = Vp x Ip = 329VDC x 45.7mA = 15.0W

I haven't made any measurements under drive conditions. Plate voltage would come down, though the plate current would increase. and no doubt the plate dissipation.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

With cathode bias plate dissipation typically lowers with signal, because increasing cathode voltage shifts the operating point to colder operation.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
      X