Noisy 1458's and 4558's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy 1458's and 4558's

I have got a MXR flanger doubler that has quite the noise. If I have no input or the guitar volume is all the way down, the output has a hiss that is being affected by the doulber and the flanger. The doubler which I intend to use mostly is awfully loud because of the transistors Q1 Q2 and Q3 within the schematic that heavily amplifies the hiss. While they do amplify the hiss, there is a hiss coming from the last opamp being pin 1 of U10 before the transistors or the reticon chips. There is a lot of hiss coming from all the opamps prior to being in the wet signal and I am curious how to fix it. I tried TL072's and they were every so slightly quieter, but did not fix it. I am starting to assume there is a capacitor or resistor that needs a different value or for it to be swapped to roll off that hiss.
    Getcha Pull

Schematic?
    With a schematic we will be able to advise without guessing.
    It is not always the op amps that are the source of the noise, I would isolate the input to each stage; pin3 and pin5 come instantly to mind but if used as an inverting amplifier, that won't help. Hence the need for a schematic.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

My bad, here you go

Click image for larger version

Name:	file.php?id=60&sid=9171bec63edfce132e1b18dcbaf589e2&mode=view.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	981119
      Getcha Pull

Comment

With Regen control at zero, is the noise still there? ... if it is there is only one part of the circuit it can be; U6 and the few components around it after lifting C37 of course.

Edit; more info added.
        Last edited by Jon Snell; 04-21-2023, 08:01 AM.
        Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
        If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

With regen at 0, the hiss remains. With regen up, it’s more of a crackle like hiss.
          Getcha Pull

Comment

Working...
          X