• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg Micro-CL modding

Hi,

I’m going to attempt the repairs mentioned here:

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...stortion/page3

This is my first foray into this kind of electronic work and I’ve already hit a stumbling block: when purchasing the resistors and capacitors what wattage and voltage should I be choosing, respectively? The schematics for the amplifier doesn’t provide this info. Thanks, all.

A schematic on what you intend to do would help. Eg, replace C104 to 47uF, stuff like that.
    If we get a list of your intentions, we can advise on wattage of resistors and voltage ratings of capacitors etc.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Replace C106 with a 680pf, replace R6 for a 62k, replace R24 and R18 with 22k and 100k respectively, add a 2200pF cap in parallel with 100k R6 resistor.

Comment

Resistors; No high power resistors are required so any 1/4W or 1/2W MF, MO or CF 5% or better will be fine.
        Capacitors; No high voltage capacitors are required so 63v 10% will be fine.
        Your mods will make it sound different, as C106 will slow the HF response down in the power stage and a capacitor across R106 may cause instability.
        Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
        If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by mybreathyourlung View Post
          Replace C106 with a 680pf, replace R6 for a 62k, replace R24 and R18 with 22k and 100k respectively, add a 2200pF cap in parallel with 100k R6 resistor.
          This is incorrect. The 2200pF goes across R18, not R6.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I’m simply going off what was suggested and seemed to improve things based on the other thread I linked. Do you have any suggestions or different changes? I’m new to this so I’m all ears. Thanks for the information.

And yes, I was incorrect with the placement of the 2200pf, I didn’t have the schematic with my notes on me. Thanks for the reminder!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
              Resistors; No high power resistors are required so any 1/4W or 1/2W MF, MO or CF 5% or better will be fine.
              Capacitors; No high voltage capacitors are required so 63v 10% will be fine.
              Your mods will make it sound different, as C106 will slow the HF response down in the power stage and a capacitor across R106 may cause instability.
              Instability in what way?

Comment

Originally posted by mybreathyourlung View Post

Instability in what way?
                He said it would cause instability if you placed it across R6. But that was a mistake. It goes across R18 and will not cause instability there.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

In the context of amps instability means a tendency to self-oscillate.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                  X