Using automotive fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
    You would also not believe how many times I have seen a good fuse that does hot have continuity.
    I guess you mean that with some fuse types one can't tell from the looks if it's good.

Whenever you can measure a voltage across a fuse, either the fuse or its contacts are bad.

Actually I don't understand the discussion about automotive fuses as the ones I know are completely different (including the holder) from standard equipment fuses.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Actually I don't understand the discussion about automotive fuses as the ones I know are completely different (including the holder) from standard equipment fuses.
      These fuses are automotive but not as common. I think they are for some older models.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1598.png
Views:	192
Size:	994.5 KB
ID:	983667
      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Older automotive fuses are close enough in size to regular 0.25" x 1.25" mains fuses to be interchangeable and are available in ceramic or glass. There are also some types that will fit in a 20mm fuse holder. Plastic blade and bullet fuses won't fit any regular mains fuse holder.

Having been in the business of repairing equipment for a living, liability is a serious concern and I've always replaced fuses with the correct type and rating if found to be incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
          These fuses are automotive but not as common. I think they are for some older models.
          Thanks.
          Never saw those in a german car.
          What makes them attractive to use elsewhere? Price, availability?
          Should be interesting to compare specs (like voltage and I²t value) to standard fuses.
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-17-2023, 09:49 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
            Older automotive fuses are close enough in size to regular 0.25" x 1.25" mains fuses to be interchangeable and are available in ceramic or glass...
            Yes. Those fuses are type "3AG" and the "AG" stood for "Auto Glass."

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
              Yes. Those fuses are type "3AG" and the "AG" stood for "Auto Glass."
              Ok, but this article https://www.fusesunlimited.com/products/automotivefuse
              says that automotive fuses are rated only up to 80V.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

What makes them attractive to use elsewhere? Price, availability?
                It was mostly availability. It used to be that you could always find standard 1.25 inch auto fuses at any garage or gas station. Usually too high value, but they fit, so people used them. I still get stuff that has 10 or 20A 32V fuses where there should be 4A or less.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Ok, but this article https://www.fusesunlimited.com/products/automotivefuse
                  says that automotive fuses are rated only up to 80V.
                  I should have clarified that the "3AG" is a size and case construction specification. It doesn't indicate electrical parameters.
                  Ancient information to many people. Like vacuum tubes.
                  Last edited by Tom Phillips; 06-18-2023, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                    I should have clarified that the "3AG" is a size and case construction specification. It doesn't indicate electrical parameters.
                    And obviously it doesn't indicate the designated use either.

E.g.: https://cdn1-originals.webdamdb.com/...ASI2IOLRFF2RHA
                    Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-18-2023, 01:12 AM.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

And obviously it doesn't indicate the designated use either.

E.g.: https://cdn1-originals.webdamdb.com/...ASI2IOLRFF2RHA
                      Quite interesting that for the particular slow-blow type, at 135% capacity it can take up to an hour to blow.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

"What did you get your degree in?" Me, "Fuseology!" ;-)

Everything you ever wanted to know about fuses:

https://cdn1-originals.webdamdb.com/...ASI2IOLRFF2RHA

Comment

is it true that when using a dc fuse for ac that you can safely increase the voltage by 1.41?

Comment

I think I just answered my own question. I found this on the Cooper Bussman webpage about fuses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	84
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	984501

Comment

Actually I didn't understand your original question as I thought it was clear that the voltage rating must be sufficient for the application.
                              I wondered if there even are 125V automotive fuses.

BTW; a 125V fuse may be fine as a mains fuse but not as a HT fuse.
                              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I am late to the party with this thread, but it never ceases to amaze me how many people will ‘cure’ an appliance that keeps blowing 5A fuses by swapping them for 13A fuses!

Comment

Working...
                                X