No announcement yet.

Ampeg B-410 Blown Fuse Diagnostics Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both a B-E junction and a B-C junction should read like a diode (observe polarity for a PNP or NPN transistor). C-E should read open. This is out of circuit. In circuit, you may be reading across other circuit components. I would check them in circuit. Then, if something seems shorted/open/leaky, etc., pull them and re-test.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by misterc57 View Post

In this case I cannot get to that point as the amp is pulling way to much current. I am dialing up on a variac and it starts to draw too much current with only a small amount of AC applied. Should I use a bulb limiter here and then test for DC on the output?
      I was hoping that removing the load would stop the overcurrent (as it often does when there's DCV at the output).

Though I have a variac with a current meter, I generally prefer to use the bulb limiter.
      Last edited by Helmholtz; 08-24-2023, 12:02 AM.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I thought I had isolated the bridge recitifer and it was overcurrent. Pulled each diode out and they each tested good. Put new ones in and still have the issue.

I then went back to see if I could find shorts in the finals and I see lots of shorts between 22 and 100 ohms on each 2N4348. Argh.

So, going to put this one aside for now. I have another identical amp head I want to see if I can fix. It has DC on the output and I am going to open a new thread for that one.

Thank you, MC

Comment

Originally posted by misterc57 View Post
          I thought I had isolated the bridge recitifer and it was overcurrent. Pulled each diode out and they each tested good. Put new ones in and still have the issue.
          So you have tried it without load connected, as Helmholtz asked?
          If trying to start up on variac or bulb limiter, with load connected, you can sometimes get over-current even with an amp that has no fault.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            So you have tried it without load connected, as Helmholtz asked?
            If trying to start up on variac or bulb limiter, with load connected, you can sometimes get over-current even with an amp that has no fault.
            Yes. All testing has been with no load.

For SS I have learned here to check for DCV on output with no load as the first step. This is when I discovered the overcurrent.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
            X