Ampeg BA115HP Output and crackling/static

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg BA115HP Output and crackling/static

Have output and crackle/static thru speaker output. No crackle thru headphone output but seems to be reduced volume.

Remove the amplifier board and check the soldering quality of the components.

Comment

Removed board, solder joints appear good. Reinstalled board, U1 thru U5 (+17/-17vdc).

Comment

I would check AP1 for a dirty wiper, set the quiescent current, with no signal or load, to 15mA.
        Check for noise, if still present, check TP12 for noise, if present on TP12, the issue is on or before that point, remove C11 and test again. If still present, replace U5 to test again. If gone suspect C11 leaking.
        If still there, it could be Q9 or a drive transistor that is noisy. A tin of freezer is very useful in this case.
        Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
        If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Removed one leg of C11 and no signal. Reconnected C11 and same as before, output with crackling distortion.

Comment

When C11 was disconnected, was the crackling/static noise still there at the output?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

No, no output at all, crackling included, with one leg up on C11.

Comment

In post #4, Jon suggested that if lifting C11 got rid of the noise, it could be bad. Try replacing it.
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                  In post #4, Jon suggested that if lifting C11 got rid of the noise, it could be bad. Try replacing it.
                  C11 is a (10uF 35v). Any problem I use a (10uF 50v) cap I have extra?

Comment

Originally posted by ca7922303 View Post

C11 is a (10uF 35v). Any problem I use a (10uF 50v) cap I have extra?
                    Yes no problem at all.
                    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                      Replaced C11 with a 10uF 50v and no change with signal (mp3).

Comment

What does mp3 signal mean?

Comment

Originally posted by x-pro View Post
                          Probably just a line level signal output from some device. Probably fluctuating between 100-500mv.
                          When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by x-pro View Post
                            Signal is my phone playing an audio file.

Comment

Try shorting D to S pins of Q9 together

Comment

Working...
                              X