Marshall Valvestate VS65R Channel Two Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Valvestate VS65R Channel Two Out

Starting to debug this amp, clean channel works fine, gain channel has no output.

No footswitch involved, using the front panel channel select switch. When you toggle from clean or gain, there is a loud pop.

Trying to understand the clean and gain path through the switch. Which ICs are in the gain path.

Thank you

Marshall-VS65R-65W-Schematic.pdf

and this seems odd. IC6 appears wet, like it has sweat on the top of it, which I was able to wipe off. Everything else in the amp is dry

Comment

12AX7 test fine

Comment

The 5201 IC's do the switching (IC 2,4,5). They are switching type op amps. Control voltage at pin1 determines which set of the IC's inputs are used.
        Check that DC is changing on their control pins (pin1), and output is changing at output pin (pin5).
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          The 5201 IC's do the switching (IC 2,4,5). They are switching type op amps. Control voltage at pin1 determines which set of the IC's inputs are used.
          Check that DC is changing on their control pins (pin1), and output is changing at output pin (pin5).
          Clean Channel

IC2 pin 1 14.3 VDC
          IC4 pin 1 14.5 VDC
          IC5 pin 1 14.5 VDC

IC2 pin 5 0.1 mVDC
          IC4 pin 5 0.32 mVDC
          IC5 pin 5 19.2 mVDC

Gain Channel

IC2 pin 1 13.8 VDC
          IC4 pin 1 13.4 VDC
          IC5 pin 1 13.4 VDC

IC2 pin 5 0.21 mVDC
          IC4 pin 5 -0.45 mVDC
          IC5 pin 5 13.6 VDC

Comment

IC5 only has CLEAN output
            IC4 only has GAIN output

IC2 has both GAIN and CLEAN output

Should all of these ICS always have an input signal present from both the clean and Gain channels?

Last edited by misterc57; 09-15-2023, 08:20 PM.

Comment

So from IC2, for either channel, it goes to the tube. If clean is working, tube is ok. At pin8 of tube it splits off. Ch.1 goes to clean tonestack (VR2,3,4). Ch.2 goes to VR6 and 8, then to IC 6B. Do you have signal at IC6 pin 6 ? From there it goes to VR7 and VR9. If you have signal all the way up to VR9 wiper, IC5 is likely bad.
              Also, you reported DC at IC5 pin5 when ch.2 selected, which further points at IC5 being bad.

edit: if you do end up needing a 5201 IC, there are lots of counterfeits out there that you want to avoid. These should be legit:
              https://www.amplifiedparts.com/produ...itch-8-pin-dip
              Last edited by g1; 09-16-2023, 12:02 AM.
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

So from IC2, for either channel, it goes to the tube. If clean is working, tube is ok. At pin8 of tube it splits off. Ch.1 goes to clean tonestack (VR2,3,4). Ch.2 goes to VR6 and 8, then to IC 6B. Do you have signal at IC6 pin 6 ? From there it goes to VR7 and VR9. If you have signal all the way up to VR9 wiper, IC5 is likely bad.
                Also, you reported DC at IC5 pin5 when ch.2 selected, which further points at IC5 being bad.

edit: if you do end up needing a 5201 IC, there are lots of counterfeits out there that you want to avoid. These should be legit:
                https://www.amplifiedparts.com/produ...itch-8-pin-dip
                That explanation of the circuit really helps me. Will report back. Thank you

Comment

In Gain Channel mode

I have signal at IC6 pin 6, C55, IC5 pin 6. No signal at IC5 pins 7 and 5.

So it looks like a bad IC5

Comment

Bad ch.2 volume pot (VR9) would also result in no signal at IC5 pin7. You could try desoldering that pin7 and then check if signal appears at the solder pad.

Comment

Bad ch.2 volume pot (VR9) would also result in no signal at IC5 pin7. You could try desoldering that pin7 and then check if signal appears at the solder pad.
                      Will check that out. Thank you

Comment

VR9 is open. Ordering a new one

Comment

Replaced VR9, problem fixed.

Thank you everyone!

Comment

Working...
                          X