Fender Ribbon Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Ribbon Cables

I'm working on a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. (reissue? really?) Anyway, some of the wires of one of the ribbon cables that connect the main board to the tube PCB have broken off, so I need to reconnect these. The question - how do you strip one of these ribbon cables to expose bare wire? The only thing I can think of is very fiddly, cutting the ribbon end into into separate wires and stripping each individually.

I imagine they must have a dedicated fixture at Fender, or have them manufactured stripped and tinned, but that doesn't help the poor repair person...

You have a choice;
    Separate each wire about 3/8" ends and strip each leg separately.
    Purchase a ribbon stripping tool of the correct size (out of the qiestion for the averave shop) or
    Replace the cable with lengths of hook up wire of a suitable length, ore stripped and tinned.

These wires don't break on their own, they usually break due to mishandling.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Where these have been broken I've done it the long way using a scalpel. I have ribbon strippers, but they don't fit the wider pitch of Fender cables. Whenever I get these amps I run a bead of high temperature hot-melt along the PCB/cable junction as a precaution (so long as the cables are already in good condition). You never know how many times the cables have been flexed during previous repairs. I also suspect that the copper work-hardens in combos due to vibration and this makes the ends more fragile. Similar to how a soldered wire in automotive applications will fracture adjacent to the solder, yet a crimped connection will be OK.

Comment

I typically place the ribbon on a block of wood. I take a razor blade and score the insulation on both sides for the length I want stripped. Next I slice down the length to be stripped on each side of the wires. Then I take small needle nose and pull the insulation from between the wires, in the direction of the length of the wire. It comes out clean for me.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just afraid fiddling around with the broken end will cause problems with the other end! I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
          X