Funky axial electrolytics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funky axial electrolytics

Got some of these off Ebay for a project. Very strange. Marked Rubycon...axial, 22u 450v, YK series, 105c. They are crimped and vented on *both* ends like a non polar lytic. Rubycon doesn't even list an axial in the YK series, and the YK series is 85c. THe 105c rating would be a YXA series, but still no axial leaded stuff there. Prob'ly fakes...anyone seen these? Good thing I didn't pay much for 'em....
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

I found this...you might be interested:

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=721

Counterfeit parts are a real PITA to deal with, especially when dealing with power devices...I saw an article a few years back in one of the trade journal I get, might of been EDN, and there were pictures of power FETS cut open to show the difference between "real" ones and "fakes"...what a difference. Even reputable distributors have a hard time making sure the parts they get are real...I was talking to a Newark rep a while back and they deal with this stuff all the time....there are so many sub contractors making this stuff that fakes are inevitably going to get into the mix.

Comment

heheheh......oh yea...they's fake alright. Have a look at what I found when I opened them up:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/62937081@N00/

Radials hand soldered into the dummy housing.

The 33 is...according to the label which is also fake and not even lined up with the leads....a 400v rated part. The ebay seller is "ESRC1". Apparently a large tube vendor on there. The guy said I could send them back, but fuck all that. I'm not wasting the postage to send this garbage back to Fla. He either credits me, or I leave "interesting" feedback to warn potential buyers of this junk....which I already have been doing with the ones who already bought them.

Comment

wow. Probably from China. Saw a TV program once where the crew visited a factory (tin shack) there making "made in Japan" spark plugs. From the interview with one of the young female workers there are probably plenty of people to do manual labor for low wages (IIRC she was saying along the lines of "better than life back at the farm(as a peasant)"). AFAIK, all or just about all Japanese manufacturers quit making axials so real ones shouldn't be recent. Wonder if the one in the pic is recent or some sort of attempt to recycle some of the caps made with the defective paste.

Comment

You might want to post an email to Rubycon customer service...I'm sure they'd like to know about this if they don't already...

Comment

I have to admit I have never bought parts on ebay.

Well, actualy I have never bought anything on ebay.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Just an update on this.....since there was a shrink wrap over the doctor'd up lead additions I yanked that off. Found Nippon Chemi KMG series labels. These may be fakes as well. Both parts were 22u 400v in spite of the 33u/22u 450v labeling on the fake housings.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/62937081@N00/

Comment

Originally posted by tim View Post
                You might want to post an email to Rubycon customer service...I'm sure they'd like to know about this if they don't already...
                Rubycon knows. They have a blurb on thier homepage about only buying from authorised distributors due too the counterfeit situation getting so bad.

Comment

Working...
                X