Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson GA-15RV power transformer

Hey all,

I have one of these on my bench with a bad power transformer. I ordered one from Mercury and they told me that this one will work. It’s APS TRACE-VEL-P.

I’m almost done installing it, when I came to realize there is no pair of orange leads. In the amp on the bench there is a pair of orange leads that feed a fuse, called FS4. It’s a 1 amp fast blo fuse. Which seems to me as though it would be some sort of heater circuit… but the main 3.15vac heater wires are gray. And I connected them where they go.

I had to get out the angle grinder and cut a square for this PT as it’s the flat laying type.

here is the schematic: http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/sch...V_complete.pdf

I’m going to attach some pictures of the Mercury wiring diagram and the amp that I have on the bench.

can you all please assist me in wiring this PT? I cannot find FS4 anywhere on the schematic so I can’t figure out what it’s for or what the orange leads are for.
    Attached Files

FS 4 is on schematic sheet 2/2.
    Orange wires should belong to the 24VAC winding.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Lower left area of pg.2 of schematic. It's a 24VAC winding. (TX6 and TX7)

You need a PT for the 'gold tone' GA-15RV from the 90's.
      Last edited by g1; 12-24-2023, 12:55 AM.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Actually, the Trace Velocette is pretty much the same (see attached), so that transformer should have the winding.
        What color windings does the transformer have, or is there a datasheet with it?
        Attached Files
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          Actually, the Trace Velocette is pretty much the same (see attached), so that transformer should have the winding.
          What color windings does the transformer have, or is there a datasheet with it?
          Thanks all, yes the wiring diagram is attached in my OP. There are no orange leads and no “extra” leads that I don’t know what to do with.

I’ve also sent this to Mercury for assistance.

Comment

Maybe there was a different revision of the Gibson and Trace amps that didn't have the low voltage supply for solid-state stuff.
            I was going to suggest one of their Vox AC15 PT's that have a low voltage winding, but they all have center-tapped high voltage winding so they wouldn't work for the GA-15RV as it has a bridge rectifier.

Comment

Yep… pretty strange! Important note here: there is no reverb transformer. The verb is run with solid state devices. Perhaps the revision was just that… and they needed the low V windings.

I’m sure I can find a suitable 1A transformer for that. If you have any suggestions please save me time searching, suggestions welcome! A toroidal would be fine as well. 1A 24v secondary.

Mercury staff are all on holiday leave until after the new year.

Comment

Perhaps a furnace transformer would work!

40VA 24vac

https://thefurnaceoutlet.com/product...caArXPEALw_wcB

Comment

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...GGdituEA%3D%3D

thats a vertical mount

here’s a toroid but I’m surprised how big it is! (That’s what she said). 3” diameter!
                  https://www.antekinc.com/an-0225-25va-25v-transformer/

one from hammond
                  https://www.hammfg.com/part/PHC25JGA?referer=1051
                  Last edited by lowell; 12-27-2023, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Also Hammond BE2G (546-BE2G at mouser)

Comment

Also take note that V1 & V2 heaters are running off the low voltage dc supply.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That's really the only significant current from the 24V winding. But still only 150mA with the heaters all in series like that.
                        So with that and the IC's, I don't see why you would need more than half an amp max., or a 12VA transformer? Heater turn on surge?

Comment

Good catch guys. I’ll look for a 24vac 12VA power transformer.

Comment

I decided to go with this one from digikey

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...AZSK8JIALoBfIA

I really wanted to find something smaller than 3” long but it would seem that that size is required from a physics standpoint. ‍ I guess perhaps it all boils down to total VA, so even 24v at 500ma is a 3” laminated transformer. I guess it’s possible they just use whatever common bobbins/magnets they have in stock for production so maybe they save on production by using one size for a specific range.

Comment

Not bad for 18 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X