Blues jr low voltage problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues jr low voltage problem

This fender blues jr had a broken fat switch. One of the low voltage caps c34 was bulging. So i replaced it and the fat switch still didn’t work. Then i finally took a measurement of the voltages and found the negative voltage is around -7 or -8vdc. I replaced the zener diode thinking that’s got to be it, and still no change. Even though the reverb is working with the lacking neg voltage i thought that something might be dragging it down, so I changed the IC. Still no luck. D5 has the required -26vdc. One side of R53 has the -26.8 but the other -8vdc. R53 measures 739 ohms the other one R50 750 ohms. Do you changing R53 would take care of the problem?

Which version of Bj? Mk1, 2. 3 or 4.
    I don't think replacing R53 will do it. If it measured OC then yes but it is a resistor and roughly the correct value.
    With the IC out, what voltage did you get?
    Is C34 the correct polarity and did you use the exact value?
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

I didn’t think to take a voltage measurement with the IC out. What seems counter intuitive is that r53 is lower in resistance, so i would think that the voltage would be higher. Anyway I had to order some 1 watters. Only have half watt ones. Thanks. Oh and the cap is in right with the correct value
      Last edited by pontiacpete; 12-26-2023, 03:44 PM.

Comment

There is only two places the -15v goes to; pin 4 of the IC and R57 on the boost switch.
        A 22k won't load it down so it must be something to do with the IC or its supply pin feed.
        So, not a lot to go wrong. Have you got +15? if you have a bad ground on the supply, it could be floating and still present +-15volts to the IC but as +22 -8.
        Check the 10.8volts feeding the bias. That will tell you if the supply is not balanced.
        Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk

Comment

Please post appropriate schematic.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

There’s +15v 0n pin 8 and -8v on 4

Comment

Rev A seems to fit.
              Last edited by pontiacpete; 12-26-2023, 07:58 PM. Reason: That didn’t work sorry

Comment

Fender_blues_junior_rev_a.pdf

here it is

Comment

Which one is it?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk3.png
Views:	118
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	991307 Click image for larger version

Name:	1994 version.png
Views:	118
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	991308 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk2.png
Views:	112
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	991309 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk4.png
Views:	111
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	991310

Comment

Check C32/33/34 for leakage. What's the voltage at TP33? What does R53 measure?
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                      Check C32/33/34 for leakage. What's the voltage at TP33? What does R53 measure?
                      Did you read the original post ... I think not.

Edit;
                      What has the secondary HT voltage got to do with the stated fault
                      Last edited by Jon Snell; 12-26-2023, 08:35 PM. Reason: Asking a question ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post

Did you read the original post ... I think not.

Edit;
                        What has the secondary HT voltage got to do with the stated fault
                        Well I did, but without a schematic coudn't make much use of it.
                        Now re-reading it seems to leave C34. - or excessive load current.
                        Didn't mention /refer to secondary HT voltage.
                        Last edited by Helmholtz; 12-26-2023, 08:58 PM.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

R53 measures -26.6vdc at the junction with c32. R50 has basically the same voltage at it’s junction with c30, however at other end of r53 there’s -8vdc where as r50 has 15vdc..
                          Last edited by pontiacpete; 12-26-2023, 10:01 PM.

Comment

So something is pulling down the -15V line. Could be the zener, the cap, or anything running off the -15V (which seems to be only U1).
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                              So something is pulling down the -15V line. Could be the zener, the cap, or anything running off the -15V (which seems to be only U1).
                              And R52, near the Fat switch.
                              Supply X
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 07.20.09.png Views:	0 Size:	196.1 KB ID:	991342Edit; This is why it is so important for the poster to identify the model correctly. We are all just guessing.
                              Last edited by Jon Snell; 12-27-2023, 07:00 AM. Reason: More comments included

Comment

Working...
                              X