Fender grill trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender grill trim?

Where can I buy Fender grill trim. I belive it is plastic metal looking stuff. See picture below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	131
Size:	884.4 KB
ID:	992810

Nothing to offer yet. I'll look around though because I'm sure I remember seeing that trim for sale somewhere between a few and ten years ago (I can't remember just when). Hopefully someone else remembers the same with more clarity.

EDIT: Still looking. In the meantime I ran across this:

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ill-cloth-trim

Looks like you needed some of this stuff thirteen years ago too. No responses then. I hope we do better this time.

EDIT 2: Still coming up dry but I really think there's hope because there are a few SF reissue models and they have that "drip edge" trip for nostagia. Fender should have it or at the very least they're getting it somewhere and I just haven't seen it yet.
    Last edited by Chuck H; 01-27-2024, 11:18 PM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I've come to believe that the actual stuff isn't available in the retail market. My best advice is to contact Fender and see if you can get some of what they use for their reissue amps or a source for that stuff.

The metal coated plastic look is SOOO passe today that you will not find a modern moulding with that "look". So you would have to go with an actual aluminum moulding. The closest I found was this"

https://piersupply.com/Item/A50-0272TAL12D

It has a drip edge profile (not exact but close) on both the 1/4" and 9/16" surfaces. Which, of course means that your actual visible width is 5/16" to 1/2" so that niether of these options is ideal. But it's what I found.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Ok, check this out:

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...nder-drip-edge

Tom has a photo that demonstrates the extruded aluminum I posted because he used it on his own amps. And Bob seems to have the scoop on why we can't get the actual Fender stuff.

Comment

Mostly auto stuff here but i have bought trim/edging for the marshall style look. If you search for "chrome" some idea pop up.
          https://jjautofabrics.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            Ok, check this out:
            https://music-electronics-forum.com/...nder-drip-edge
            Tom has a photo that demonstrates the extruded aluminum I posted because he used it on his own amps. And Bob seems to have the scoop on why we can't get the actual Fender stuff.
            Thanks for finding that Chuck. It's a very efficient use of MEF to reference past information rather than re-writing a similar response. The availability of the MEF archive makes it very worthwhile to spend the time to write an informative post.

I had started looking for the old post based on a faded memory of the past post but, to me, it seemed like it was only about 1 year ago rather than 5 years in the past.

55 years ago we thought the aluminum trim was cool so I used it on a few amps I built but I wouldn't bother today unless it was for restoration of an authentic old Fender amp.
            Cheers,
            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
              Thanks for finding that Chuck. It's a very efficient use of MEF to reference past information rather than re-writing a similar response. The availability of the MEF archive makes it very worthwhile to spend the time to write an informative post.

I had started looking for the old post based on a faded memory of the past post but, to me, it seemed like it was only about 1 year ago rather than 5 years in the past.

55 years ago we thought the aluminum trim was cool so I used it on a few amps I built but I wouldn't bother today unless it was for restoration of an authentic old Fender amp.
              Cheers,
              Tom
              55 years ago I was nine months old

The photo looks sharp. Too bad about not being able to get the corner pieces (though they're often missing from originals anyhow). And too bad about not being able to get the Fender parts. I would think that the need of owners with originals would outweigh the risk of counterfiets.?. They can't prevent couterfeits, just reduce the problem. So they're really only keeping repair parts away from loyal and would be repeat customers. But I'm not a corporate manager or a bean counter so what do I know.

Comment

Chuck,
                Don't make me repeat myself.
                Don't make me repeat myself.
                ;-)

The amp in the old post is long gone. I think I just removed the plastic grille and did not replace it. But I don't remember....which seems par for the course for me. ;-)

Thanks for the tip of the countertop trim pieces!

Here is the picture of the actual amp that I will be restoring. Don't tell anybody, but I may just put Silverface grill cloth on it with no trim.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	992840

Comment

Oh I figured the old post amp was gone. I wasn't trying imply otherwise. Not sure how that was interpreted. I did see the image in the opening post.

Did you see the image of Tom's work in the thread I linked? Looks good. Just no corner pieces. I think it might be easier to use the aluminum trim than to laminate shims on the edges of the baffle for a nice looking fit. If it comes to that.

Comment

After owning a few Ed Jahns Fenders & a 68 Bassman 2x15", I'm fairly confident in saying that MY Super Twin & 75 didn't/don't have aluminum trim. My Super Twin had white plastic, somewhat yellowed. My 75 has white plastic with a clear plastic coating on it that has definitely yellowed. The 2x15" has true aluminum trim.

I don't know if Fender was just willy-nilly throwing whatever they could on the Jahns amps between 1975 & 1981, but I couldn't find anything for the Super Twin & ended up removing it all (it was in about 20 pieces). My 75 has the original trim, heck, i should take a picture later for posterity.

Jusrin
                    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
                    X