Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12AX7 Identification

Hello all.
    Can anybody identify the brand of this 12AX7?
    it has printed upon it 12AX7A USA. Followed by dots underneath. It looks as though the print may have been red in colour at some point.
    I ask as it sounds quite wonderful and I’d quite like to get a few more in stock.

Many thanks.
    Attached Files

Dots= G.E.

Comment

Yeah but did the dots identify which plant it was made? Owensboro KY or the one which I forgot.
      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Oh I found something on it. The dots are date code.

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=230932
        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Fantastic
          Thanks guys

Comment

Always knew the dots meant something. Now, figure out the RCA 8 sided rectangular area around the part #, supposedly there is a blank area, and where that is means something. Tung Sol also had a missing segment around the tube type. Maybe i am dreaming. Also many tubes were made by other companies rather than what was stamped.
            Last edited by mozz; 01-29-2024, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Agree that this should be a GE tube, also characterized by the box shaped plates.
              Yours is a long plates version. The short plates type seems to be more common.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                Agree that this should be a GE tube, also characterized by the box shaped plates.
                Yours is a long plates version. The short plates type seems to be more common.
                And (though I know there's a lot of debate about how tubes "sound", or don't ) the short plate GE's sound sort of lack lustre to me. Maybe they're a little lower in gain? They do tend to be non microphonic though even in very high gain circuits. I have no experience with the long plate GE's
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                X