1.2k 3 watts cement resistor swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.2k 3 watts cement resistor swap

Just noticed R306 1.2k 3 watts cement resistor on the power supply stage is worn. Any risk on leaving it as it is or should it be replaced?
    Attached Files

Is it working? Don't touch it!

Comment

Im trying to carry out a preventive maintenance of this amp to avoid any damage to the original transformers and reduce further background noise. Anything you would recommend?

Comment

This resistor is unlikely to mess up the transformer.
        And preventive maintenance is checking the device parameters and checking (replacing) connectors, regulators, contacts in case of reaction of their problems to the speaker.
        If all is well and the named elements do not cause any rustling, do not break the unit.​
        It would be good to understand the make, model and purpose of the unit.

Comment

Its a 1987 Fender the Twin aka The Red Knob Twin
          Attached Files

Comment

Please don't start a new thread for each electronic part in the amp: You don't need multiple threads for the exact same amp.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

You are not helping dude!

Comment

Understood. I wasn't trying to help. I politely (I said please) asked that we not have a dozen threads on the exact same amp.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yeah it gets confusing to everyone involved with the different threads. Like I will be reading one thread and I need to go back to that other thread. Why you may ask? Cuz I care enough to do all that and not even complain about it. But I prefer it all be in one thread about that 1 amplifier even if it strays off topic a little.
                  When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

The general consensus on this forum is that you do not replace parts unless you have proven them to be defective. Like x-pro said in post #2.
                    You will always get the same answer here, so there is no point asking that question about every part.

And like the others said, no need to keep making separate threads about the same particular amp. Stick with one thread.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Think of it as if you are a detective. Do you arrive at a crime scene and move everything around? It’s a methodical process that requires patience and problem solving. Even when you are dreaming you should be fixing the amp in your sleep. The knee jerk reaction is to pull parts and everyone here has been guilty of it when we first started. It’s just like all those experienced adults telling youngsters not to smoke. It almost makes them wanna do it to rebel. Don’t rebel on this electronics guideline.
                      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

FWIW at this point...

That resistor just looks like some of the fill cement cracked and fell out. The resistor part is still there. It could be a particular batch of those particular resistors just did this or it's just from age and heat. Since this part is inside a closed chassis I don't see any reason to to replace it if it's working. You stand more chance of trouble created by the effort of replacing it. Honestly, if it's been working there and it's in spec then it's already proven itself to be a reliable part of the circuit. In my time here I think it's new posters fixing things that aren't actually broken that is the number one cause of threads that end without resolution and amps sitting in closets.
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Ok. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X