Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall MG15CDR - high pitch noise

Hello everyone,

Reaching out to the community for help with this little amp. I got it from someone that sold me a guitar and threw this amp in because he did not want to bother with it any more.
    ​​​I am comfortable opening it up and replacing components but I do not know how to troubleshoot the problem. Here are the symptoms:
    1. There is a loud, high-pitched noise that does seem to get louder/quiter with the volume pot but it is always present. I do not know how to acurately describe it in tech jargon so I am attaching a short video.
    2. The guitar signal does not come through when I plug it into the dedicated input jack (1MΩ), just the noise. The cable is not the issue.
    3. The CD input (3.3kΩ) does work and I am able to get the signal through, but the noise is still present.
    4. A thump sound when turning it on. I do not know if this is normal for this amp or related. Just mentioning it, in case it's relevant.

I am attaching the schematic.

I have to say I would not bother with it but, when ignoring the noise, the sound that comes out of this little amp is promising. I would love to be able to fix it for my 10-yr old. If anyone is able to help me diagnose it, you will make a father and son very happy!
    Much appreciated!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240217_052939335_HDR.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	994246
    Attached Files

I am sorry, the site does not allow me to upload the video. I can describe the noise as high-pitched, almost like a hiss but more like a whistle. It is constant, there is no fluctuation in pitch or length. There is also some occasional crackle when turning the volume up or down but that seems to be the potentiometer.

Comment

If R34 is damaged, incorrect / dodgy mains earth can do it, the output IC will oscillate with the possitive feedback.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 09.20.02.png
Views:	102
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	994251
      Check the components circled.
      Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
      If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

And I'll add that "dodgy" could also mean the resistor is ok but the connection is bad. I haven't been in one of these amps but it's possible where R34 connects is a stress point on the board (cracked or cold solder joint) or it may connect through a flying lead like a ribbon cable (possible bad friction contact).
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thank you both! I'll open it up today to check and get back with what I found.

Comment

Also check solder connections on the input jack itself.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yes. This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty much any ground in the signal path common to both channels. But the input jack, as with most amps that have them board mounted, has a high risk of abuse and failure. I almost mentioned it except that Jon came off with such confidence and HE didn't mention it. Since I have no experience with these amps I didn't want to speak out of turn.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by David26 View Post

1. There is a loud, high-pitched noise that does seem to get louder/quiter with the volume pot but it is always present.
                2. The guitar signal does not come through when I plug it into the dedicated input jack (1MΩ), just the noise. The cable is not the issue.
                3. The CD input (3.3kΩ) does work and I am able to get the signal through,
                4. A thump sound when turning it on. I do not know if this is normal for this amp or related. Just mentioning it, in case it's relevant.
                Check the soldering quality of all controls and test them on an open circuit board by jiggling them slightly and adjusting them with the amplifier on. It is better to use headphones to avoid overloading the speaker.
                It is also possible that SW1 pins are oxidized or C48 is defective.
                Answer to question 4.
                A clicking sound may be heard when the amplifier is turned on.​​
                If you have a tester, be sure to check the +15V and -15V supply voltages relative to the case. It may differ within 1V.
                The rest as you proceed.​
                Last edited by x-pro; 02-20-2024, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X