1970s Gibson GA60 Solid State Amp has DC on output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970s Gibson GA60 Solid State Amp has DC on output

Schematic attached (scan from J. Darr book)
    GibsonGA60.pdf
    Amp output has -7.7Vdc on power up, slowly sinking to -0.4Vdc steady state. Running on light limiter with no load.

Transistor voltage measurements attached for Q5,Q6,Q7,Q11,Q12,Q3 and Q4
    Click image for larger version

Name:	GA60Notes.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1,018.3 KB
ID:	994340

All transistors and diodes check ok with multimeter diode check. All resistors in output section check ok.
    Looking for help in how to isolate and find the problem

Nothing looks RADICALLY off on your voltage readings. However, .9ish volts E-B on Q3 and Q4 looks suspect and higher than "normal". Also, those transistors need to be pretty well matched. I'd pull and check them out of circuit if you haven't. It might not be a bad idea to just replace them to see if it solves the problem.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

What is the DCV at the output with a 4R load resistor?
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The Dude - I'm ordering some 2N5210's for Q3 and Q4, I'll check the old ones when I make the swap.

Helmholtz - on the light limiter with a 4ohm resistive load, the output is -7.7 Vdc. Under these conditions I checked voltage across R61 (it was 0V) and R62 (it was 0.9V). I think this means Q11 is off and Q12 is conducting almost 2 amps (0.9V/0.47ohms=1.9A), correct?

Comment

Originally posted by telecaster View Post
          ... Q12 is conducting almost 2 amps (0.9V/0.47ohms=1.9A), correct?
          No, it's not. Part of the current is tapped to Q7 to drive Q12.
          I suspect a break or change in rating in elements R19, R20 or/and cap (4/40) between them.
          Therefore, the zero at the output takes a long time to set and the operation is unbalanced.

Comment

Originally posted by x-pro View Post
            No, it's not. Part of the current is tapped to Q7 to drive Q12.
            Should be a small part.,
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              Однако напряжение EB около 0,9 В в Q3 и Q4 выглядит подозрительно и выше «нормального».
              Minus the base voltage it seems to be okay.
              The question is, "Why is it different?" Either measurement error and different timing.​

Comment

x-pro - R19 and R20 measure correctly at 10K and 4.7K. The capacitor measures 6uF, I am looking around the shop for a suitable replacement to try.

I remeasured Q3 and Q4: Q3 base = -348mV, collector = 30.6V, Emitter = - 0.96V. Q4 base = -412mV (jumps around a few mV), collector = 31.3V, emitter = -0.96V
                ​​​​​​​The junction of R19 and the 4/40 capacitor reads -21.62V

Comment

No load on the output. What is the voltage directly between the bases of Q6 and Q7?
                  Put the plus side of the voltmeter on the base of Q6, the minus side on the base of Q7.​

Comment

Originally posted by telecaster View Post
                    Amp output has -7.7Vdc on power up, slowly sinking to -0.4Vdc steady state.
                    How long, in seconds, does this transition to an operational state take?

Comment

x-pro: The transition from -7.7V power on to -0.4V steady state takes 5 minutes.
                      The measurement you asked for Q6 base (+ lead) to Q7 base (-lead) is 1.59Vdc

Comment

Working...
                      X