classic 30 no filaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• classic 30 no filaments

I've got this amp dissasembled and have the cube of death pcb out. I hit all the solder joints of the el84 sockets, as I can't seem to figure out where I'm losing heater voltage.
    This one has two red and two yellow wires coming of the xformer to the board via connectors. I've got voltage there

When measuring the 3r 5W resistors, in circuit, one reads 3ohms and the other 1.2K. These are r71 and r72.
    Is that high reading normal for in circuit, or have I potentially found my problem?
    I know these filaments are in series, but I'm having a hard time troubleshooting

Very unlikely to have anything in circuit that will make a good resistor measure way high (very rarely a cap will do it). Lift one leg of each of those and re-check.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thank you, it still reads 1.9K(my bad not 1.2K) clipped out, so it's bad.
      Why is the value 3ohms important here? Can i substitue w diff values?

Comment

I would think 3.3Ω would be close enough and is a more standard value. Resistance value was chosen based on filament current and to achieve proper filament voltage.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
        X