No announcement yet.

Tremolo stopped working in old Silvertone 1482 amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just put a couple in the tube tester, you have to look at the tube from the side to see the heater. It is at the top and at the bottom. You can't see it glowing from looking down. They only get warm, not hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      I still suspect a bad (loose) heater socket contact.
      Does the tube sometimes light up when you wiggle the tube in the socket?
      Bingo!
      Forcing the tube in an off-axis position did the trick. The filaments lit up and the tremolo came back.
      Also the screen grid voltage went down to schematic values.
      My re-tensioning was not good enough. I'll try to do it again.
      Thank you guys.
      Carlo Pipitone

Comment

The worst that can happen is replacing the tube socket. This can admittedly be a real PITA beacause of filament leads and however the original sockets were (probably) riveted to the chassis. So there's some retrofitting involved any time you replace a socket in these amps. But the good news is that it's not an unfixable problem. So you get to keep the amp and it's charms. With your enthusiasm and effort this amp gets to keep making music in a world where digital amps are starting to prevail. Your work on the matter counts
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
        X