No announcement yet.

Worlds Most Expensive Load vs something less expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow... oil, huh? I probably won't go that far :-)

So I did, however, get my temporary little load box together, mostly... just need to wire up the jack. I'll post a photo below, just want to make sure I am going about this the right way... I isolated the jack from the body of the chassis/box... not sure if that is important or not, I figured it was better to "float" it. Then I will attach one end of the network to one leg of the jack, the other end of the network to the other leg of the jack, then take my probe reading from the speaker jack out from inside the amp... sound about correct?

"'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Comment

Last post :-)

Got a few of these in the mail yesterday... this was more along the lines of what I was hoping for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	arcol_8r_200.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	873.5 KB
ID:	996713
      "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Comment

It looks like you may need a bigger chassis now?
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

For sure. I did finish the smaller one though and will move forwards with that one for now :-)

Comment

After posting about the water heater elements I looked up *oogle images for "water heater elemens" "dummy load" and saw some pretty fun stuff. Still, sort of bulky and sloppy for our purposes. It's not like we're trouble shooting tube powered commercial radio transmitter stations. Sometimes our repair guys here need a dummy load for a huge PA system but it's rare.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Name:	20240401_145044.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	996847 I don't even know where was using for but looks pretty hefty to dissipate safe thousand watts. It was a 22 ohm around. I splited the resistor in exactly 2 x 8 ohm sections. Bought for almost nothing at a local second hand market.
              "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Years ago, while still working at BGW Systems in their Engineering Dept, I had built a smaller 4-channel 200W/8 ohm load bank using Dale RH-100 4 ohm 100W resistors in series x 4, mounted onto a wakefield Heat Sink and a short Aluminum bracket with four pairs of Superior Electric Binding Posts. Then years later, having come upon a large stash of Pacific 2 ohm 250W Wire Wound Resistors, I built an 8-ch 4-ohm 500W fan cooled load bank on huge diecast aluminum extrusions that we were having made for us, same pattern as a similar Wakefield or Ahem Extrusion. Two 120 CFM fans mounted at the rear, fish-paper insert inserted into the tunnel to force the air thru the extrusion fins and the front, with thermal switches mounted on each extrusion to turn the fans on at 55 deg C, as well as having an override Fan Switch. Been using both of these load banks since the early ninties.

Name:	Power Cart FV & Bench-1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	996863 Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Cart RV & Bench-1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	996865 Click image for larger version

Name:	Load Bank-1.jpg
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	996867

Name:	Load Bank-4.jpg
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	996869 Click image for larger version

Name:	Load Bank-5.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	996871

Curious about the Floor heater load bank. How inductive are those?
                Attached Files
                Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Working...
                X