Jcm 900 oddity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jcm 900 oddity

Working on a jcm 900 .. 4100 model . 5881 tubes. This has the hi / lo output switch. I've had it here before ..it eats R8 and R9 randomly. These are at the Fail Leds.
    I just noticed something else...This amp has factory screen resistors at 470 ohm . They are original. The scem shows them as 2.2k . What gives ?
    Should I install 2.2k ?
    Attached Files

Full schematic here:

https://schematicheaven.net/marshall..._100w_4100.pdf

R8 and R9 should have no current through them at all unless F51 & F52 fail open. So, check the fuses.
    If the amp has 5881 tubes, 470 ohm screen resistors are fine. The higher value is for EL34 versions.
    This is a SWAG, but my bet is that C15 (the bias V coupling cap has gone bad/intermittent causing lack of bias voltage and too much tube current. Then, blowing the cathode fuses and burning the resistors. I wouldn't call it "common", but I've seen that cap fail often. Check bias voltage to see if it's where it should be.

Edit: That cap for the bias AC supply is C12 in the 5881 version- not C15. It's on page 3 of the schematic I linked. Also, that page 3 schematic probably better matches the amp you are working on.
    Last edited by The Dude; 03-27-2024, 03:48 AM.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I'll check it. Bias is fine measuring at Ot. Yes it did have a blown cathode fuse and r8 was burnt . Amp is running fine . Maybe I'll swap out c15 while it's apart

Comment

Just a heads up that I edited my post above. Not sure if you noticed. Maybe that will help
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

What is the wattage of those R8,R9 resistors? I don't recall ever seeing one burnt. It is designed so if one tube goes bad, the pair is removed from the circuit and you go on playing, with the LED on.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Not sure , but ive replaced them before. I used 1w

Comment

Working...
            X