Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC heaters

Hello. I ask for a solution to a DC heater problem as follow please:
    Have 3 heaters to supply from an independent heater supply source. The first heater will be AC supplied and second and third DC. The voltage on the first is spot on. So it is for the second and third with 30mF filter cap. But get to much ripple, is noisy (gross measured 50mVAC around with dmm). Even 1 ohm resistor between caps makes thinks quiet. But 1ohm resistor makes 1.2V drop, the dc comes to 5.5v around. So my ideea is to wind couple of extra turns on secondary to provide some voltage room to instal a resistor between caps (think 2 ohm - 3w dissipation will be quite enough, that mean -25db ripple lower at 100cps.). But I don't want to compromise the voltage for first heater. How is better to proceed please ? (Rectifiers are already schotky type- minimal 0.4V drop on).Thanks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240327_102519.jpg Views:	0 Size:	772.2 KB ID:	996594
    Last edited by catalin gramada; 03-27-2024, 08:57 AM.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Can you really hear a 50mV ripple on the heater voltage?
    Which filament belongs to which stage in the amp?
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Well...is more than 50mV.peak. I get a random measurement with my dmm which shows 50mV AC. F3 is first and second stage, F2 is third stage and inverter F1 is the driver. With both caps linked together in parallel is noisy. With 1 ohm resistor in between I still can barely hear it but is very quiet. Put the cap linked in parallel or through 1 ohm resistor did a lot of difference. The tubes used in DC side are very microphonic 6n8s (6sn7 Russian equivalent)
      "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Working...
      X