Micro connector headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro connector headache

I was changing the power cord on my old Lab Series L5 amp and stupidly moved the amp while the reverb was still connected, prying off the small wires from the micro connector. (View pics)

Some wires were left bare as they ripped off from the lugs that sit in the connector. I thought this would be an easy fix - id just uncrimp the metal pin terminals to fit the old wire, crimp back up, and connect. BUT these terminals are just too small to uncrimp...they are just about holding together, any more working of then would just cause them to desintegrate.

How would you go about this? I cannot find any of these kind of pin terminals online (pls let me know if you do..maybe they have a different name). Another option would be to remove the whole thing and replace it with a newer micro connector system. Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by soma89; 04-09-2024, 05:44 PM.

The image links are not responding.
    It's best to upload your supporting images to this MEF thread.
    This also prevents the images from disappearing when the third party image host is cancelled.

Comment

Check if there's enough room in the plastic body to reinsert the terminals if the wire is soldered on to the still-crimped pin. Looks like the ends of the conductors need stripping back a little to get to the full number of strands.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
          Check if there's enough room in the plastic body to reinsert the terminals if the wire is soldered on to the still-crimped pin. Looks like the ends of the conductors need stripping back a little to get to the full number of strands.
          Yes exactly. The main issue is that the terminals are crimped shut and i cant open it up again without damaging the terminal.

Comment

It looks like you have enough length on the cable conductors to re-strip, then tin the conductors as well as the crimped terminals and tack-solder them onto the terminals, then re-insert them. I've had to do that many a time over the years.
            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by soma89 View Post

Yes exactly. The main issue is that the terminals are crimped shut and i cant open it up again without damaging the terminal.
              I usually open those crimps by pressing straight down with a fine flathead screwdriver or knife (with terminal positioned as in pic). It should open the crimp enough to get the old wire out, then place the new one in and close the crimp and solder for good measure..
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes, I agree with others. Don't bother trying to "un-crimp" them. Just solder the wires to the terminals and reinsert them into the plug.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

A while back I needed to replace a connector similar to this in my 80s era Porsche. Let me look up later which plugs I found and name, sizes etc. I do remember I found them very cheaply on eBay (pins and housings) in various sizes once I knew what I was looking for. I also have a decent crimping tool and you’ll need one of those to reliably crimp the terminal. I’ll post later today. They are sized by the pitch (distance between pins).

Comment

Originally posted by soma89 View Post

That's why I said about soldering to the still-crimped pin if there's room to reinsert the pin.

Comment

They're not the same as the ones I needed to get hold of (JST or "Japanese solder less terminals" ) but you could just search for "dupont connector" or "PCB header connectors" or "PCB jumper connector" and you'll find what you need to remake the connector. eBay item 386456400237 on UK eBay is kind of thing you'll need. This is for 0.1" pitch connectors which is common type.

If you can't find the correct size 'female' for your reverb lead then you can either desolder the existing male connector and replace with one compatible with the connectors you obtain, or much simpler just solder the reverb leads directly to the connector on the board. If that looks too fiddly then desolder the male connector and solder the reverb lead directly into the board which is the arrangement many amps use anyway. It won't make disassembly of the amp any harder for maintenance as the reverb lead is almost certainly connected to phono sockets at the reverb tank.

Should be a solution somewhere here!

Comment

Working...
                      X