Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Burns of London, Amplifier on my bench for repair ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Burns of London, Amplifier on my bench for repair ...

I wonder what it is ...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	28.1 KB ID:	999047Click image for larger version  Name:	compressedimg_4615.jpg Views:	0 Size:	720.3 KB ID:	999042 Click image for larger version  Name:	compressedimg_4618.jpg Views:	0 Size:	816.9 KB ID:	999044 Click image for larger version  Name:	compressedimg_4616.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.31 MB ID:	999045 Click image for larger version  Name:	compressedimg_4621.jpg Views:	0 Size:	975.4 KB ID:	999046
    Fully transistorised, (very modern) germanium transistors throughout ...

More to follow.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

I like the "Orbital" speakers (and the dangling geraniums!)

Comment

Control panel on the rear, very odd.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The stated fault is poor sound and crackling selector switch.
        First inspection shows aged electrolytics , mainly 100u 10volt and 470u 25volt with a couple of 5u 10v and a 1u 5volt.
        All three large capacitors measure perfectly fine with no sign of any issues, no measurable leak and all three have an ESR reading of less than 1 Ohm.
        Fresh capacitors fitted;
        Click image for larger version

Name:	compressedimg_4647.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	713.3 KB
ID:	999061 Click image for larger version

Name:	compressedimg_4651.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	697.0 KB
ID:	999062 Click image for larger version

Name:	compressedimg_4648.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	768.4 KB
ID:	999063 The few old types that are still in circuit decouple the emiters of the pre amp germaniums and are in good condition.

More to follow ...
        Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk

Comment

Side Note: That mains voltage selector switch looks to be a simple easily accessible toggle switch. WAAAY too easy to switch by accident, IMO.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by mhuss View Post
            I like the "Orbital" speakers (and the dangling geraniums!)
            Yes, that's quite the transistor mounting system isn't it (rubber grommets)?

Comment

As the early Ge transistors could be damaged by heat during soldering, they came with long leads and not shortening them was a precaution.Transistors were expensive then.
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 05-15-2024, 12:31 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                As the early Ge transistors could be damaged by heat during soldering, they came with long leads and not shorting them was a precaution.Transistors were expensive then.
                Indeed, a heat sink is required when changing/soldering Ge transistors.
                I use a pair of flat bladed pliers and a hot soldering iron for speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post

Indeed, a heat sink is required when changing/soldering Ge transistors.
                  I use a pair of flat bladed pliers and a hot soldering iron for speed.
                  I have thousands and build pedals all the time, never damaged one from soldering. I was military certified soldering in 1980 so i may have learned a little about get in get out.

Comment

As the early Ge transistors could be damaged by heat during soldering, they came with long leads and not shortening them was a precaution.Transistors were expensive then.
                    you’ve reminded me of the ubiquitous OC71s and AC127/128 pairs of my youth!

Comment

This amplifier employs NKT403 output transistors, transformer couple to an NKT404 running from a stabilised 32volt DC supply. NKT = Newmarket Semiconductors.

The pre driver is an NKT213 and another NKT213 with an OC702 pre amp.
                      Surprisingly quiet, noise wise and the replaced leaking capacitors, have stopped the nasty crackling noises from the selector switch.

Some snippets of how they put it all together and what the various parts do.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Vibrato.png Views:	0 Size:	277.1 KB ID:	999129 Click image for larger version  Name:	Vibrato Modulator and mixer.png Views:	0 Size:	466.1 KB ID:	999130 Click image for larger version  Name:	Power supply and output stage.png Views:	0 Size:	598.4 KB ID:	999131 Click image for larger version

Name:	compressedscreenshot 2024-05-15 at 18.53.25.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	999133

Sounds exactly as I remember these with the Elac loudspeakers. One of the plastic magnet covers was loose and I had to glue it back on, taking a photo of the makers name first.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	compressedscreenshot 2024-05-15 at 18.48.17.jpg Views:	0 Size:	312.8 KB ID:	999132

Another great piece of history up and running again in our local recording studio.
                      Thank you for looking.

Comment

I've seen the name elac miracord on turntables here in the US.

Comment

Nice work, Jon!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                            Nice work, Jon!
                            Thank you.

Comment

Control panel on the rear, very odd.
                              Tell that to Fender Champ, Bassman, VOX AC30 , Sessionette , and thousand others
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                              X