Peavey XRD 680 Female XLR Connector Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XRD 680 Female XLR Connector Replacement

Hi... First time posting... I'm in need of advice on what to buy to fix/replace a missing female XLR connector on my recently acquired Peavey 680 amp. I've read that these are known to be susceptible to being pulled out if the wrong male connector is used and I guess this is what may have happened. I've done some research on the part and came across some limited info (including a thread on this forum back in 2017) but when looking for the part I've seen different items so I'm not sure exactly what I need to buy and how to replace it. Do I need the whole connector, or do I only need what looks like the front part of the connector? And does this require me to open up the back to do some soldering, or is it just a matter of pushing it in over the connector prongs?

I've given links to a few of the parts I came across... And here's a photo of the amp's missing connector.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Attached Files

You will have to disassemble to the point where you can unsolder the broken one, identify the part and order a replacement.
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Originally posted by MoJoAus View Post
      I've given links to a few of the parts I came across... And here's a photo of the amp's missing connector.
      There are no links showing in your post.

Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I believe there are four pins that mount onto the pc board. Here is the replacement part.

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/045290-peavey-31466218-xlr-pcb-mount-connector-for-xr-series

As xtian stated, you need to remove the knobs, nuts, etc... and then the front panel will separate from the PC board. Once you do that, you will have access to that part.

And while you have the pc board free, use some DeOxit F5 to clean the pots.
        It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Thanks for the response. TomCarlos, so simply removing the knobs and nuts that hold the female jack connectors will allow the front panel to be removed?

And then I can remove the broken XLR female connector and replace with a new one (as per fullcompass.com), and only need to solder whatever wires need to be connected.

Cool, sounds easy enough... And yes, I can do the DeOxit clean too. I had an old Fender amp that I did it with. Stopped the scratchy sound almost immediately.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJoAus View Post
            Thanks for the response. TomCarlos, so simply removing the knobs and nuts that hold the female jack connectors will allow the front panel to be removed?
            It will be evident that you remove "everything" that comes through the panel. This is all knobs! And I think there might be a few screws that hold the panel to the PC board.
            It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

I'm not sure, but I don't think that the front panel needs to be removed from the circuit board on that model.

If you remove the front panel from the head casing, you can unsolder the xlr insert from the board and pull it out from the front. The new insert can then be pushed in through the ring and resoldered from behind.

Comment

I was thinking the same, but didn't comment because I couldn't remember for sure. At any rate, it's worth trying that first. If it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything. You have to unsolder the connector either way.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                X